Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was able to print wirelessly from the laptop to the printer for the past year. Suddenly it stopped printing and I got a Active X directory is currently unavailable message.  Don't know if this relates to the problem.

The printer under Devices shows up gray. I uninstalled the printer and tried to reload it via the HP site but it goes 90% through the setup and then gives me a message saying unable to complete download. I tried with the CD, same result.

I have been able to connect directly to the printer and print and the printer shows up solid until I unplug the cord and then goes gray. When I right click on the printer it shows as being my default printer.

I can print wirelessly from a second computer with no trouble so I assume it has to be something on the other laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi , 

First Step - 

Please visit this youtube video to uninstall the drivers from your PC . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfG86qYnGw&feature=youtu.be 

Second Step - 

Uninstall the software from Programs and Features . 

Go to devices and printers folder. 

Right click on HP ENVY Printer if Listed and remove device. 

1. Navigate to the Control Panel, and open Devices and Printers, Printers, orPrinters and Faxes.
  2. Click the icon for your printer, then click Print server properties.
    Figure : Location of Print server properties
    Image: Location of Print server properties
     NOTE:
    If Print server properties does not display, right-click an empty area in the Printers window, select Run as administrator from the drop-down menu, and then selectServer Properties

Click on the driver tab on top 

If ENVY Printer is listed select the printer and click on remove. 
    Choose remove driver & driver package . 
    Printer will be removed from the devices and printers . 

Third Step - 

Please use this URL and download the software and install it. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my    efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 

HP Recommended

Thanks that worked. I have been able to get the software loaded. But now it has given me another issue. I can print from the laptop to the printer as long as I am connected via a USB cord. It will not do it wirelessly. When I go to the View printers and devices the printer is there and looks solid. When I unplug the USB cable the printer turns gray. Any idea what would cause this and a solution?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Roger Brown

When USB is connected printer port is selcted to USB , you will need to change that to wireless port . 

Go to devices and printers 

Right click on the printer 

Go to printer properties 

Then go to port on the top 

Scroll down and select the port which HP NETWORK REDISCOVERY OR WSD OR TCP IP . 

Regards

Maddy

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it added a new image of the printer and neither one will print wirelessly.

HP Recommended

Hi , 

Step 1 - Disconnect the USB from Printer . 

Step 2 - Remove HP Printers from the Devices and printers.  ( Right Click on the printer and Click on Remove)

Step 3-   As suggested previously remove printer driver from PRINT SERVER PROPERTIES ( If your unable to remove any HP printer , Restart your computer and try again to remove from PRINT SERVER PROPERTIES ) 

Step 4 -  Restart your computer 

Step 5 - Make sure WI FI light on printer is  ON & SOLID BLUE. 

Step 6 - On you PC desktop screen , there is a HP ENVVY 4500 series icon , Double click on it >> gives MSG connect a new printer >> Click on it >> select wireless connection >> select IP and reinstall just only the printer drivers . 

NOTE - Do not uninstall from programms and feautres. 

Repost if any clarifications. 

Ratchet_31

Good day

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.