Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
05-04-2017 01:41 PM
I went online and downloaded the version 40 update and my printer stopped working through the USB connection. I can print through my phone but not through my computer. I uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. I changed cables and still I cannot print. scan doctor says some drivers are missing. I did the windows update and still no connection as some drivers are missing. Loaded the version 36 back on my computer and still I cannot print the drivers are missing. How do I get the correct drivers and load them.
My fire wall is off.
05-06-2017 12:17 PM
Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.
As I understand you are having connectivity issues after the recent update. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,
Let's start off by performing a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Remove USB cable, if present.
Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.
Let's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:
· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
· Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
· Restart your computer.
· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
· Now restart your computer again.
· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
· Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61220/mp-147799-1/EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe and install the software.
· Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, click here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/EN4520_R1617B.exe
Note: Make sure you connect the USB cable only when prompted.
I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.
Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you.
If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
I am an HP Employee