Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 400 MFP M425dn

Hi,

Here is my situation:

I have a network printer&scanner and I need to setup some folders for it to save scans in.

The folders are located on a fileshare server, running Windows Server 2012 R2.

We have an active directory and the idea is for different departments to be able to save scans to network folders that are later accessible only for them (e.g. the HR department would scan a document and save it in the HR scans folder, which is not accessible to the rest of the departments).

For this purpouse I have created a domain account for the scanner to use, named him "scan" for convenience.

I have also created the different scan folders on the fileshare server and gave the scan account read,list and write permissions for each one from the security tab.

On the web interface of the printer I setup a new network folder for scans. Put a name for it, in the location I used the IP address of the server. In the past I've had issues with using the hostname of the server and sicne the IP is static it's easier that way. So example: \\192.168.2.11\Customer Service\Scans

Then for user I use the domain\scan ("domain" is a substitute here for our real domain name) and I enter the password for the scan account

When I click Save and Test I get the error "The network folder path is invalid. Ensure the specified directory exists."

So far I've tried:

To share the folder, from the Sharing tab of it's properties on the fileshare server and give the scan account read/write permissions there,

also from the Advanced Sharing option to give the scan account full control.

I also tried puting the username in the web interface as of the printer as:

domain.local\scan

DOMAIN.LOCAL\scan

DOMIAN\scan

scan@domain.local

and simply using just "scan"

What I don't want to do:

I know that it's possible to share the folder by giving full access to "Everyone" and then it works.

Our public scans folder is configured that way and almost every tutorial on the internet asks you to just share the folder with everyone. This is a serious security hole  and is not acceptable in my situation.

Please let me know if there is a way to make the device save scans to a network folder which is not shared with everyone but the account it uses has appropriate permissions. Am I doing something wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If anybody is wondering - I couldn't find a solution so I made 5 different entries (HR, Accounting...) that all save the scans (but with different name template) in a public folder that everybody from the domain has access and I made a scheduled job on the fileshare server that filters the files from the shared folder and moves them to the respective folders.

Not really secure but better than leaving everything in the public folder

HP Recommended

I agree, not secure at all.

I'm having the same issue. Works perfrectly fine when setting up exactly the same settings on a Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm starting to think these 400MFP (M425dw) printers don't like server 2012 R2 for whatever reason. 

I'm going to see if I can get some support from HP and see if they can help. I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.