Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf Printe
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I update the printer drivers to the latest version, I use Acrobat Pro to scan pages in black and white mode to PDF file. I choose WIA in scanner. The output text cannot be seen. But in color mode, it is fine. Before I update the driver, everything is fine. Now the drivers version is 5.0 dated 22 Jul 2016.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @Ultramanzero,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having issues with the printer drivers on your HP LaserJet Printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried scanning from different applications? Recommend you to Windows scan, Easy Scan.

Have you tried updating the Windows drivers?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website

If the issue persists, I would suggest here to uninstall and reinstall the full feature software.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13 ). Restart the PC

14 ). Now click on the link and enter the product details to download and install the full feature software for this printer.

15 ). Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Since our Dept has several this HP M1212nf printers, I tried other printers using other PCs. The result is the same.

Why I say it is the new driver problem, because when I install the old version driver in other PC. Everything is fine. But once I upgrade the driver, the problem occurs. I already said the problem is the WIA, not TWAIN driver. I am using Acrobat Pro 9.0 and XI, the same problem. I need PDF file instead of JPG file. Winodow Scan uses the TWAIN driver to scan to black and white image, it is OK. I really believe it is the driver problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @Ultramanzero,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are having this issues with the new drivers, I would suggest if it's working with the older drivers you can continue using it.

Next thing, If you wish you can try these steps:

Try to locate and launch the "Scan To": 

start menu --> Programs -->  HP --> HP LaserJet Professional M1210 MFP Series --> Scan to. 

if You still can not find it,  you may not installed the full feature driver that containing the scan application & driver.  please go to HP.com and download the latest SW package for installation.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL32629/Im-80811-7/LJM1130_M1210_MFP_Full_Solution.exe

Here's a related HP forum post which seems to have worked for others: Click here

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I know the old drivers work but Window Update will update the driver. Our Dept PCs join the campus domain with group policies to force updates which we cannot disable it.

As I found once the drivers updated, even I uninstall it and re-install the old one. The same problem occurs. I think the new drivers make changes to the Windows which we cannot remove the affect completely.

So I hope HP can fix the new drivers issues instead of asking the user to do other things.

The Scan To program is not a good program to use. We already are familiar with the Acrobat Pro. Why HP a so large company cannot fix this small issues.

HP Recommended

@Ultramanzero

Thanks for your reply. 

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. We need additional time to research on this issue and request for your patience in the meantime. 

I will keep you posted in a few days and keep you updated. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended

It's me. The drivers problem cannot be fixed. Please let me know. Today I setup an Epson scanner to the same machine using Acrobat Pro 9. Everytihng is fine. But when I connect back the HP 1212nf, the same problem. Therefore I really believe it is the new driver problem.

HP Recommended

@Ultramanzero

We are still researching on this issue and request additional time. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your patience in the mean time. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@Ultramanzero

During our research, we found some information as follows:

Note: HP Scanning software supplied with this product uses TWAIN  and not WIA. 

The WIA  (WIA; sometimes also called Windows Imaging Architecture) it is a proprietary of Microsoft driver model and application programming interface (API) for Microsoft Windows OS.

• WIA service is of Microsoft and not supplied by HP.
  • Regarding software Update, you may check the HP update by enabling or disabling, below is the steps. But definitely, it will not update via Windows update unless HP is pushing updates via Windows.

If we go to All programs – HP-> HP update-

Suggest you to click on HP Update->Setting-> set it to Never.

I did test using the latest software from the driver support page, I tried scanning using “HP scan to” software, it scanned fine into B/W as save file into PDF and I did not find any issues.
Test PC OS environment: Windows 10.

Using Adobe Pro and using WIA interface to scan and the output text cannot be seen or its complete white image.  There could be setting in Adobe Pro where you need to check B/W Threshold setting  and adjust it accordingly. Please refer to the below images.

Hope this helps. Let em know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

If I use Acrobat Pro and select HP TWAIN, a message "Scanner doesn't allow setting resolution. Switching to 'show scanner's native interface mode'" shows. I click OK and then a HP Laserjet M1212nf MFP TWAIN screen displays. The scanning starts but the default is million color mode. I have to change the output to black and white every time.

How to change the default to black and white mode?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.