Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There's even a third paralel discussion about this problem. This discussion started 6 months ago and there is no solution available:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Problems-with-your-HP-printer-after-up...

HP Recommended

I found this:

Fax from PC: unable to communicate with the device.

‎04-06-2014 03:58 PM

Let me share my experience. I had the same problem with LaserJet 400 MFP. After downgrading to IE10, it was working for a week and then it stopped, giving me the Unable to communicate with the device  error message. Since I was already on IE10, I decided to go further and downgrade to IE9, but the same problem. This was happening on two machines running both 32- and 64-bit Win 7.  Since it was working before, I thought this is definitely related to the network, despite the fact that I was able to print, scan and fax from the printer itself.

My solution:

I went to the printer's web gui, by typing it's IP address in a browser. Went to Networking | IPv4 Configuration and noticed it was set to DHCP. So the IP address must have changed over the week. I was still able to print, because the port in the printer's properties was set to use the Host Name rather than the IP. Maybe the PC to Fax feature doesn't like Host Names.

I changed the network settings to Manual and set a Static IP address.

Went to Devices and printers | Right-click the HP LaserJet Printer (not the fax) | Printer Properties | Ports

Clicked Configure Port under the HPLaserJet400...., and changed the "Printer Name or IP address" from the Host Name to the actual IP. Clicked OK and opened up HP Send Fax. It opened up right-away. I also opened up a document and printed it to the HP ... Fax and the Send Fax feature fired up again!

HP Recommended

My 570 dw is now working on Send Fax. Having spent 6 months lobbying HP Support, they have provided a fix that does work on the Laserjet pro 500 570dw:

/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/LaserJet-M570dn-CZ271A-MS-Patchday-November-2013-turns-Send-Fax/td-...

HP are fully aware of the incompatibility of ranges of their printers with Windows 8.1 (IE 11)

HP Recommended
is there a fix for the HP LaserJet Pro 400 MFP M425 (Windows 8/8.1)?
HP Recommended

I have an HP Laserjet Pro 400 M425dn.  I am connected to a wired company network, running IE10 and Windows 7-64 bit (Enterprise).  I have had this All-In-One unit for some time (couple of years?).  When I installed the software, everything worked well.  Recently, I get the same fatal error message I have been reading about in this forum when I try to fax from the desktop.  Printing and scanning work perfectly but an attempt to fax from desktop returns the "Unable to communicate with device:  Device may be disconnected, powered off or its network settings may have changed".  It would seem to me that if any of these conditions existed, I wouldn't be able to print or scan.  I can fax from the control panel on the device, so I know it is working.  I have a very capable IT department that can usually fix any problem but this one has them stumped.  We have tried everything suggested in the forums; Un-installed and reinstalled the software, made the fax my default printer, entered the IP address instead of the device name in the device settings,  re-booted the device and the computer (this has been going on for some time and the computer gets re-booted daily).  None of these suggestions have worked.  There have been no major upgrades or changes in the operating system since this was first installed other than maybe the Java version (Currently V6.32).  In all my reading, I have not seen any solution to this issue and some of the posts are quite old.  Can you give me any new suggestions or fixes for this problem?   Thank You

HP Recommended

Xylem_RussW, Check out my last post on page 3 in the following thread

/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/LaserJet-M570dn-CZ271A-MS-Patchday-November-2013-turns-Send-Fax/td-...

This worked until the December patches have again broken send fax. I have not yet figured out which is the offending patch. I am really not cool with having to unistall critical security patches to get this software to work but I dont have any alternatives at this point.

It's a shame because this network fax solution was so simple and easy to configure and use butI am pretty well ready to throw the towl in with hp and find a replacement network fax solution.

If you find a fix for this or have suggestions for an alternative please post them.

HP Recommended

I need same SendFax fix for my M276NW.   Rolling back IE is not a good solution.  HP needs to publish an update that fixes this.

HP Recommended

Did someone found a solution at HP?

I just found out this issue is almost a year old and HP did not provide any fix....

What a shame.

HP Recommended

Just for your info.

The problem is related not only to Win 8.x or IE11. We have a LaserJet Pro 400 MFP425dn printer in our office purchased in Feb. 2014. Since I was avare of the threads of this 'send fax' issue from very beginning, I've tryed to avoid the upgrade of op. sys. and IE10. So on our PC is Win 7 Prof. 64-bit variant installed, and auto. updates are turned off. Until today this 'tactic' has worked perfectly. Today I've tryed to upgrade our PC used with the printer, so I've carefully selected all MS hotfixes - except the upgade to IE 11. Updates downloaded, PC restarted. Op. sys: same as before, IE is still version 10, and the at very 1st moment I've tryed to send fax that nicely formatted error message displayed on the screen. WHOAH!

System restored to the previous state before the update. Now it works again. So what I claim: there is a hotfix (KBxxxxx) on MS update center which can cause the same issue even if IE is version 10 or the op. sys. is still Win 7.

In other words: HP's send fax utility - and therefore their all-in-one (including errors) printer - isn't even compatible with Win. 7... at least not after updating the op. sys. to current level of support from Microsoft.

Cheers,

DelP.

HP Recommended

Hello

having exact the same issue with the HP Send fax driver/utility, last drivers version 5.4.0.11493

I solved it by un installing IE11 and get back to IE8 (users at office does not use IE) .

Reinstall the complete hp software, from here i was able to send fax via the HP Send fax driver !

I will try to install IE updates again and provide feed back !

It is a shame that HP does not provide a patched version for his driver !!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.