Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you to George_IV for the printer port tip!

I downloaded the Windows Vista driver for the HP 1012, which was suggested earlier, installed it as a local printer, but it did not work. I should have known better! A USB print port has the name:

Dot4_001 (Generic IEEE 1284.4)

Every other device refers to a USB USB Port!

When Windows 7 offers you the option of 'Windows Update' or 'Have Disk', click 'Have Disk' and browse to the location on the hard drive where the unzipped, downloaded drivers are stored. 

HP Recommended

Yep, all you have to do is download the Windows Vista x64 bit driver install it, when selecting a printer port choose

Dot4_001 (Generic IEEE 1284.4)

next choose the 1012 hb driver and install.

Once you hit test print, it should start printing. 

It does work well when printing. thanks.

HP Recommended

my disc does not work with window 7 do you have an update hp laserjet 1012

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the help. It works perfectly so far :generic:

HP Recommended

ok tank

HP Recommended

My printer will not work. I have removed and reloaded drivers, unplugged it , turned it off ect. but it will not print. It had been working fine until I had another problem with my pc. When it was returned the printer no longer worked. I can't figure out what the problem is.

HP Recommended

I just re-installed a printer driver for my HP LaserJet 1012.  I had it working but it stopped yesterday.

Following numerous suggestions in this forum (Thank You to all !!) --

I have a Win 7 64-bit computer.  I downloaded the HP LaserJet 1012 Vista 64-bit driver (from HP) to my hard drive.  I then added a local printer, to DOT4 001 (Generic IEEE 1284.4), clicked on Have Disk and browsed to where the new downloaded driver was.

During the installation it asked me which printer I had (1010, 1012, or 1015) and I answered the 1012.

Installation worked although I think it prints just a bit slower than previously.

Re Adobe 10, I have no problem printing from a PDF.

What about reinstalling your Adobe 10 reader ???

HP Recommended

J'aimerais avoir le pilote pour cette imprimante, celle que j'ai trouvé sur le Net fonctionne trop lentement pour chaque feuille.

Merci!

HP Recommended

The driver that works is the "HP laserjet 3055 PCL5" . I found the answer on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0vmKQsHoY

HP Recommended

I was able to fix the WIN764 bit issues by using the VISTA 64bit driver.

1) use plug and play and let win7 load the generica driver set but it will not complete it but it does set up the DOT USB port and unspecified device in the "Devices and Printers"

2) download and extract the HP LJ1012 VISTA 64bit drivers to a folder

3) go back to the unspecified device and use the add drivers from disk, browse to the VISTA 64bit folder and select the .INF file. Then select HP Laserjet 1012 from the list, use the port DOT4_001 for Generic IEEE 1284.4 that got created during the failed plug and play and you should be good to go.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.