Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

That driver is no longer listed (HP LaserJet 4050...) at the select driver option. In fact AS OF 29 Oct 2016 the listed drivers range is between HP LaserJet 400 MFP M425 PS Class Driver to HP LaserJet 4100 Series PS Class Driver. NEither work.

My printer is networked, and used to connect and run on all flavoers of Windows without a problem.  

1. I follow the basic setup of detecting or manually configuration.  

2. During detection W10 sees my printer, but fails at Windows Update (Choose your printer from the list. Click Windows Update to see more models...Windows is updating the list of printers. This might take a few minutes...At which point the fetch fails and I am told to try again later) to load drivers.  

3. I have tried the other routes of configuration and there is no driver or the Universal Driver (as recommended earlier in this thread) does not work either. 

HP Recommended

Hello, I presume you are trying to install driver on windows 10 64 bits.

I have also recently noticed that the driver I mentioned is no longer made available in Win 10 update.

But this is how I recently install on a new laptop of mine.

1. I first share the printer driver on an old Windows 7 x64 PC on the same network which still prints to LJ400N

2. I then temporaily add a printer in windows 10x64  laptop manually to a local port  to the sharename of the the printer on the Windows 7x64 PC e.g.  \\win7pc\LJ400N

3. The Windows 10x64 PC will  then automatically transfers the legacy driver from the Windows 7x64 pc to my Windows 10x64 laptop.

4. I then change the local port from \\win7pc\LJ400N to the IP address of the Laserjet 4000N.

Now the Windows 10x64 PC can print to laserjet 4000N directly even when the Win 7 Pc is OFF.

(You may have to borrow a Window 7x64 PC that can prints to LJ400N from a friend. Once you have ONE WINDOWS 10 PC printing, you can transfer the  using steps 1-4 to other Windwos 10x64 PC.

Driver for Laserjet 4000N that works perfectly on Windows 10x64 is as follows-

Driver name: HP Laserjet 4050 Series PCL6

Driver Type Type 3 user mode

Driver Version: 6.1.7233.0

Reuel Teoh - Chartered IT consulltant

HP Recommended
What kind of cable is connecting your printer to your pc?
HP Recommended
Please don't tell me you're using a Centronics cable for both the printer and PC parallel. If you're not, I'll drop out of this conversation immediately. If you are, please read my previous post about buying a Centronics to USB cable because your problems would be over.
HP Recommended

Wrong!

The HP Laserjet 4000 series works just fine with Win 10.

You just have to know how/where to get and load the driver.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended

Driver name: HP Laserjet 4000 Series PCL 5 also works just fine.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended
I don't know if "Wrong!" Is the best reply. Have you any idea of how many people on the forum tried time after time to get these same drivers to work? I tried PCL5 and PCL6 to no avail. Printer was not being detected. People on these forums have some degree of computer knowledge. Joe Blow who has no computer knowledge will not likely go on the forum because he wouldn't even know what we are talking about. Win 10 should be detecting these drivers and doing an easy successful install without making you jumps through hoops and analyze why it's not working. I'm simply saying if you buy the USB cable, it works without analysis. Plug it in and driver installs correctly and Joe Blow is printing. I never said there weren't more in-depth methods that would work. I went after the most simple solution that the average and below average user could find success with.
HP Recommended

I can say that replacing the old cable with a USB cable did work for me. (except i sitll have to periodically unplug it and replug it in for the comuter to recognize the printer). 

HP Recommended
See, I've never had that problem. I don't know if you used the same cable I recommended in my post. I know some people used other cables or adapters to get it done and didn't achieve total success. That seems to be the whole vibe from that thread. What worked for some, didn't work for others and my suggestion was solely based on my success. There was never a consistent solution with that printer and Win 10. Something that wasn't as much of a problem with previous OSs. Therefore, it can only be concluded that Microsoft dropped the ball a bit on how Win 10 was written for this printer. I never had a problem with the driver installing correctly. It always did. It was strictly a recognition problem after that.
HP Recommended
Also when I go into printer properties and drivers, mine has a virtual driver installed, I believe, to make it work because of the cable I used. Will have to verify that. It has been a while since I looked there after having no issues after installing with that setup.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.