Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Did you read what was posted above.  You have to disconnect the printer from the computer or network and only have a power cord going to the printer.  No other connections to the printer.  Now turn on the printer.  Does it come to ready?  If it does, then the issue is a bad print job trying to print and nothing else.  If it comes to the 49 error with only power connected, then you have an issue with the formatter and you can try the NVRAM reset and if that does not work, then the formatter will need to be replaced.

HP Recommended

OK,  I have the HP Laser Jet 400 m475dn

I am getting the service error49.  MY computer is not part of a network.  

I have unplugged the printer from the computer - turned it off - restarted it and I get the error - it does its  reboot loop and I can copy.

How do I get rid of this error.  Its really a pain to have to turn it on and off all day just to get it to work.   TIA

HP Recommended

SO THE NVRAM - HOW DOES ONE RESET THIS

HP Recommended

Go to page 1 of this thread and instructions for the NVRAM reset are posted.  What bothers me is you say you can copy.  If you can copy, there should not be a 49 error on the display since once you get the 49 error the machine is locked up and should not be able to do anything except be turned off.  Suggest you post a better description if you want help since what you tell us is not correct.

HP Recommended

I have about 10 HP Laserjet Pro 400 color MFP m475dw's in my office.  Today I had a new server installed by my security vendor to record video from IP cameras.  After the tech left, all users with one of these printers told me they were getting 49 Service Error messages, and their units were continuously restarting.  I logged onto the server and found that the tech had set an automatic camera discovery function on.  I shut it off and the printers started to function as normal. 

I am not uber technical, but I am guessing that something about the HP Laserjet Pro 400 color m475dw looked like an IP camera to the system.  The system was configured to use port 7001 for communication.  Perhaps so does the printer unit.

HP Recommended

Having same issue with a Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M476nw. I can copy, but not print wanting. I just moved the printer to a new office and connected it to a wireless network, and got x64 error. Every time I send a print, it just beeps in a random pattern until I pull up the print queue and cancel all print jobs. How do I change IP address? Or do NVRAM reset on this machine?

HP Recommended

Sorry, retyped without errors...

Having same issue with a Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M476nw. I can copy, but not print anything. I just moved the printer to a new office and connected it to a wireless network, and got 49 error. Every time I send a print, it just beeps in a random pattern until I pull up the print queue and cancel all print jobs. How do I change IP address? Or do NVRAM reset on this machine?

HP Recommended

This is the most common error that our call center receives every day.  We are a national tech company with a call center for dispatching techs and giving phone support to customers.

If your computer recently had any Windows updates, they can often interfer with the data stream of the print job because most of the updates are security patches.  For these, uninstall and reinstall.

Second most common is printing from websites or network documents.  Most common are PDFs, things like directions from various online maps, weather reports, etc.  It's an issue between the web browser, your operating stytem, the software they use to upload the documents, and number of issues slightly out of whack.  Newer printers use a packet transmission from the computer to the printer where it's processed and reinflated to be the actual document.  Either the signal gets slightly interferred with or the source cannot compress and packet the information and transmit it fast enough.  So, just save it to your hard drive, close the website document, open it on your computer and print from there.

Sometimes you can delete every print job but still get the 49 error.  It is most likely the "wake up" signal being sent to the printer that is stuck in the network.  Rebooting the suspect PC should clear these.  I have seen really bad issues where every PC, router or switch had to be rebooted.

If there are many computers printing to one device and you have a huge backlog of print jobs, it is sometimes easier to disconnect the unit from the network, change the IP of the unit by using a static setting.  Now, let is sit while you work on the PCs.  Uninstall it from your PCs.  Then start off as if it were a new install and let Windows find it.

If the unit throws a 49 error with nothing connected at all, then you probably have a blown formatter or at the very least a communication chip on the formatter. If it's failing USB, try connecting it to a network.  If you only have a wireless network in the house/office and use USB, get a "Cross over cable".  This way you can directly connect to the printer using the network connections.

If it does it during copies, then the memory spooler in the unit is bad. 

It's common to fault the device, however a blown formatter is very uncommon.  We have found that generally only one out of scores of calls are an actual bad device.

The platforms of operating systems is changing rapdily and a lot of secondary software is not keeping up.  That is why we are seeing these errors.  Every time a major patch or service pack is released, every new PC OS or network operating system release throws the printer users of the world into a tizzy. 

Check HP's website for firmware updates and driver updates.  You can also sign up to be notified for driver upgrades and what issues they solve.  

HP Recommended

This problem got here out of nowhere.

The printer works when its offilne, put as soon as i put the lan cable, it enters in the  error 49 loop, it's been hours since i'm trying to solve it.

What I already did that failed:

• NVRAM reset
  • Manually entered a different ip address
  • Since it's a network printer, DELETED it from the print server.
  • Checked the queue on the last person that used it.
  • Turned the lan swich off/on
  • Switched the lan cable

She prints a test page just fine without a lan cable.

I don't know what else to do, please help

HP Recommended

Are you using DHCP or are you setting the IP address in the printer?  Sometimes the queue is so messed up it is easier to just change the IP address than it is to untangling the mess.  This works with smaller networks, but if you have a ton of devices on the network it means some unsuspecting person may accidently get your old IP and encounter a mess.

First, disconnect your LAN cable.  Change your IP settings on the printer to "Manual" or sometimes referred to as "Static".  Your user's manual will have this or just look it up online.  You only need to change the last number of the IP address by a couple numbers. So, if it were FOR EXAMPLE: 123.123.123.23 you only need to change the last .23 to something like .30.  Do not change anything else on any other part of the address, subnet or gateway.  It goes between 1 and 255.  However, do not use 1 because subnets often default to this.

Now, go into your printers and devices on the PCs and delete this printer from every computer.  All versions. 

Reboot everything.  Even the routers.

Now, reconnect the printer to the network.  Using your favorite or admin computer, install the new unit by letting Windows find it. 

Do not print anything that is "online" based.  Save it first, close the website, open the saved file, print from there.

Good luck...

Added on: If this does not work, you may have a blown com chip in the formatter.  Call HP and see if they can talk you through a component diagnostic.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.