Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello salthawk

Glad to know you were able to find the presets.

Hello neg999

I will look into this for you and will let you know what I find out. I don't have much experiencing using Airprint on iOS devices.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hi Travis.

I have a problem, I don't seem to have the Color option, so therefore I can't preset the printer to use the black cartridge only.

I have tried in both safari, Word (for mac) and Preview. None of the mentioned applications had the "color option" button..

As you can see on the screen shot (taken from Safari) i don't have the grayscale option - sorry it is in Danish. I can only check off "Sort/hvid" (Black/white). But nowhere can I choose black cartridge only. 

I should be in the right settings preset "Medie & Kvalitet" is "Media & Quality"

Skærmbillede 2013-02-08 kl. 19.04.08.png

I use Mac OS X 10.8.2 and the screen shot is from Safari 6.0.2, though i get the same result in the other mentioned apps.

So my question is, how do i make sure that the printer only uses the black cartridge?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Martin

HP Recommended

Hello Martin

First of all welcome to the HP forums.

The problem seems odd, but I will look at it. The forums prevents uploaded images from being seen right away so I will need to wait a little until the image becomes visible.

I do have a few questions to help with troubleshooting:

To verify, are you using the Officejet 8600? If so is it the N911a (base model), N911g (plus), or the N911n (premium)?

When you installed the printer did you use the CD or did you download the latest driver?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply! And the welcome 🙂

Yes I am using the Officejet 8600, and it is the plus version, N911g (CM750A) I have.

I downloaded the software from the HP website, so I should have the latest software. The HP utility is version 5.9.1

Also i updated the printer firmware so it has the latest version: CLP1CN1232AR.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

You're welcome

I still can't see the screenshot yet. I even tried on another computer. Also, thanks for the additional information. Not only will it help with troubleshooting but also prevent troubleshooting from being repeated unnecessarily.

HP Recommended

Hello Hello neg999

I have looked into Airprint and it only offers basic printing so it is limited in features such as default printing settings, etc. What you can do is try a third party app or the HP ePrint app. Using an app instead of Airprint will offer more features and settings.

Hello Martin_S

I am currently downloading the latest Full Feature Driver for my Mac OSX 10.8 machine. I haven't updated it in a while and my Color drop down still exists. I am downloading the latest Full driver to make sure we have the same version of HP printer software running. I will post back with my findings as soon as possible.

HP Recommended
Thank you alot. I checked my levels of ink left in the cartridge, it seems like the printer only have used the black ink cartridge.

Dont know if it is because i have checked off: "Sort/hvid" (Black/white).

Is that the setting which toggles of the printer only uses black cartridge or not?

Also, that is an option I don't have in all programs (I only have that option in native OS X apps like Safari, Preview and not apps like Microsoft Word)

Hope you can see the screenshot now..

Thanks in advance.
HP Recommended

Hello Martin_S

I did update my driver, however, my color option still shows and I do not see a slider as per your screenshot. Sort/Hvid should provide you black ink only as your preset is set to Black and White Fast draft.

I will forward your post to the appropriate team for review. I will see if I can find out why you have a slider bar for quality options and no other adjustment for color than the sort/hvid option or to use a preset.

HP Recommended

Okay 🙂 Thank you for the fast reply.

I would like to also have the possibility to use black cartridge only for normal quality and not just fast draft. Hope the team you contact can help us sort it out.

Thank you a lot for you help so far 🙂

HP Recommended

You're welcome Martin_S

As you can see from my screenshot, you can select grayscale and then choose black ink only, but on your computer those options are not showing. So I am not sure you can at the moment (since you only have a black and white check box and I am unsure if that sets black ink only or grayscale). On my Mac though I was able to select normal quality and Black Ink Only.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.