Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi I am using a Mac PowerBook Pro & OS X 10.8.2. The printer defaults to landscape even if I create a new default with it set to portrait. How do I set the printer default to Portrait?

HP Recommended
Hello Samone

After creating the preset are you saving it as the default preset?
If you go to the "Show Presets..." option is "Default to Default Preset" is selected?

Also, when you install the HP software there are some existing presets as well. What happens if you select one of these? Does it still print landscape?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Travis_C in response to sdrew RE: changing OS 10.7.3 default print settings showed a Presets dropdown menu from Safari which include choices I do not have in OS 10.6.8, to wit "Save Current Setting as Preset". Consequently, I can't make my grayscale settings the default version.

Is this due to my OS version or has HP changed their system?

Is there a solution?

Thanks,

salthawk

HP Recommended

Hi there

I have just bought this printer and want to change the default settings to double sided printing. I can't seem to find where you get the Presets option to come up, our printer just has the normal print options. How do I access the presets options?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello salthawk

I am not sure if there is a difference in the software between 10.6 and 10.7/10.8 but I will look into this for you and post back when I found something out.

---------------

Hello Sumo2013

What operating system are you running?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Hi there

I am using a MAC OS 10.6.8, is this the right information?

HP Recommended

Hi there, My new HP Officejet Pro 8600 is taking more than a minute to print one side of a draft grayscale doc. I use these for reference and can't wait around a minute per page. My old dinky printer could pump them out in about 3 seconds or less at these settings. I noticed on a report somewhere (advanced settings? which I can't find anywhere)that it was set to high quality grayscale. How can I change settings for fast draft to low quality grayscale. I bought this printer for speed so this is very frustrating. Wasting time and ink. 😞 Please HELP!

HP Recommended

Hello salthawk

Can you post a screenshot of your print dialog window? It will help me determine what options you are seeing. The Officejet 8600 uses the same driver/software for 10.6-10.8 so the menus should still be the same.

--------------------

Hello Sumo

Did you install the basic or full feature software for your printer? As I just told salthawk the Officejet 8600 uses the same software for 10.6-10.8 so the menus and options should be the same. You should see double sided printing next to "Copies".

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.41.07 PM

--------------------

Hello PRPYeah

What operating system are you using and how is the printer connected to the computer? Have you looked at the Slow Printing article?

HP Recommended

Hi Travis,

I saw someone mentioned this briefly but didn't give you the right info - I use the 8600 to print via AirPrint on iOS a lot and it defaults to colour - is there anyway to adjust the settings on the 8600 to default to B&W? (using iOS 6.1 on iPad and iPhone).

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hello Travis:

Re: the presets I couldn't find last week. Somehow I stumbled over them and all is well. The Mac screen shot is a picture.Printing Screen Shot

Thanks for your help.

Salthawk

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.