Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how do you change the color default setting to black and white?  And how to change it back for occasional usage?

HP Recommended

Hi dcs13,

I see that your wanting to print black ink only.  I have a couple of questions for you.

What printer do you have?

What operating system is your computer? 

HP Recommended

BEWARE! I was just informed by HP tech support the option for greyscale/black ink printing only has been removed! You MUST replace the empty cartridge regardless of the other ink levels! SCAM!!!! I can't believe on a printer focused for the office and volume printing it would not allow for only black ink to be used. It was bad enough that it doesn't print color properly and I used that ink because of the color printing issues. It has lines all through the pictures and has since it was first bought and on photo paper it becomes drippy, smears, won't dry after a week, and prints the colors much darker tones than the original with no setting control to assist. I have trusted HP to be one of the most reputable companies in the past. I have sold many HP products when I worked retail as I always pushed for the quality of HP has having a higher value. I will no longer purchase their products after this. I can't believe they would be so cheap! So there it is, folks! If you can't find it that's why! Hope that helps those who were chasing their tails on this one! 

Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 3.31.46 PM.png

HP Recommended

Wish I would of found your answer sooner! I've spent over an hour in the forum and on the phone with customer service to find this out. Im very disapointed. Thank you very much though for putting the only accurate answer on this forum! I gave kudos! 

HP Recommended

When I print from my Ipad, only half of the page prints. How can I fix that?

HP Recommended

Thank you for this reply.  I agree it is quite a bad business practice to eliminate the greyscale option.  I will get weary setting it for each print job.  UGH.  VERY expensive to own this printer with ALL these colors I have no use for except on occasion.  I hope HP changes this feature.

HP Recommended
Thanks!
HP Recommended

@sdrew wrote:

How about if you have a Mac?  How do I change it to print black only?

HP Recommended

I  had to renew a yellow color cartridge the other day and now I cannot print in black and white only.  What do I need to do? 

HP Recommended

Great answer - it worked!  Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.