Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@mhagler wrote:

My firmware shows to be the updated version, and  I set my default try to "tray 2" but I get an "out of paper" when I try to print from Word 97 even though it shows "tray 2" in the print dialog box. Could I be missing something?

I think so. Tray 2 is to be used for PLAIN Paper only.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I did use plain paper tray 2. The problem seems to have gone away when I turned off the printer, lifted it off tray 2, and reset it. Time will tell if the problem has gone away for good.

HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with customer support.  Their solution was that this printer cannot handle 5x7 size and you need to select 5x8 and use 5x8 paper instead of 5x7 paper.

HP Recommended

@Ckon756 wrote:

I just got off the phone with customer support.  Their solution was that this printer cannot handle 5x7 size and you need to select 5x8 and use 5x8 paper instead of 5x7 paper.

You spoke to a dummy. First there is no 5x8 selection and there is no 5x8 photo paper. I suppose one can select custom size and cut 8 1/2x 11 photo paper, to 5x8, but this is stupid. Who would do that? This person obvious  doesn't know what they are talking about.

I don't have a solution to those who are having this problem. I never had a photo paper printing problem on my 8600, it works with any photo paper I've tried, including HP Advance Photo paper, 4x6 and 5x7. Since this has been a major problem for many, I wonder why HP has never responded to this problem on these boards.

HP Recommended

I installed my 8600 last week... and experimented with photo paper... what I did to get it to work was from the Windows Print screen....

> select  A4 (4 X 6)

> select Best

> select HP Photo Premium Plus paper (I just have the basic HP Photo Paper that came with my old 7280)

The letter size paper must be removed from the tray first and then the 4X6 photo stock placed in the center back of tray (I only have one tray)...using the adjustable levers(?) to snug the photo stock into place towards back of tray.

Works like a charm!!! 

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with not being able to print photos from tray 1.  No solutions offered worked for me UNTIL this suggestion: make sure you only have 10 or 15 sheets of photo paper in the feeder. HURRAY!!!

HP Recommended

Yes, it worked for me!

HP Recommended

HP is not concerned with producing a working product.  They are only interested in maximizing their profits.  I am returning my HP printer for this same problem. 

HP Recommended
A new firmware is released.

Released: 2013-07-23
File name: OJP8600_N911a_R1322C.exe [1/1, 29.13M]
Version: CLP1CN1322CR

Fix/Enhancement
1) Enhance ePrint Diagnostic report for ePrint Setup
2) Improve ease of wireless setup
3) Enhanced Embedded Web Services
4) Improve Print Quality
5) Improve Ink Usage
6) Improve paper path performance
7) Improve Digital scan performance

Well, only improvements and enhancements, no fixes.

I hoped that the issues with the second tray are addressed so I can put my photopaper in tray 1 and my normal paper in tray 2. Obviously no luck. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

After a few unsuccesful hours I took a fine, 1000 sandpaper to the pickup wheel and now it picks up heavy photopaper just fine.  Perhaps there is a powdery coating in that wheel for shipping safety.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.