Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to print colored pictures from my mac to my wireless printer. Both the computer and the printer register that there is a full color ink cartridge in the printer but it just won't print out colored picures. I've downloaded and redownloaded the driver, is there a step I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad to hear it is not the printer @clairej7.

It likely has something to do with the driver or with the CUPS on the computer.

CUPS consists of a print spooler and scheduler, a filter system that converts the print data to a format that the printer will understand, and a backend system that sends this data to the print device. CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) as the basis for managing print jobs and queues. - Source

Either way, to fix this, I suspect the best approach is to reset the printing system, repair disk permissions, re-add the printer using the right driver, and try to printing again.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OKto confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-clickDisk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and add the printer back.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver, not the AirPrint driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

I look forward to hearing from you. Please let me know if this resolves the issue. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @clairej7 

I understand you are unable to print in color from your Mac. The best approach is to first determine if the issue is the printer or something to do with the computer/ driver.

1. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow ( ) to scroll to Tools, and then press OK.
  2. Press the Down Arrow ( ) to scroll to Print Quality Report, and then press OK. The printer prints the test page.

If there is no color on the printed page, use the following documents to troubleshoot the issue;

Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages

Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems

If the Printed page does have color the issue likely has something to do with the computer. let me know and we will work towards a solution.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

It does print in color. Does this mean there is something wrong with my computer/driver?

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it is not the printer @clairej7.

It likely has something to do with the driver or with the CUPS on the computer.

CUPS consists of a print spooler and scheduler, a filter system that converts the print data to a format that the printer will understand, and a backend system that sends this data to the print device. CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) as the basis for managing print jobs and queues. - Source

Either way, to fix this, I suspect the best approach is to reset the printing system, repair disk permissions, re-add the printer using the right driver, and try to printing again.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OKto confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-clickDisk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and add the printer back.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver, not the AirPrint driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

I look forward to hearing from you. Please let me know if this resolves the issue. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you! It works now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.