Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there

My touchscreen lost functionality gradually over the second year of use. (HP Officejet 6500A). It's now 5 years old.

Also my USB printer cable broke years ago, which forced me us it as a network printer via ethernet cable, and scan using the HP Webscan page (http://10.0.0.x), where "x" is the last digit of the printer IP Address. (Check "Devices and Printers" to get this as mine changes dynamically)

This means I can use the printer / scanner option without needing to use the faulty touchpad. 🙂

If you are ever reset your printer (like me), and get stuck on "language selection" or something else where input from the touchpad is required, you can put it into "Store Display" mode by doing the following:

Switch off printer. Then hold down power button until green LED at bottom left lights up. You're now in a diagnostic mode.

Home, Back, Home Home See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--DFGMeyYQ for a funny demo where a guy reflashed his printer. Note, I have not reflashed, so I don't know what it does.

I tried doing all resets (semi,partial, out of box, full), but they all led me back to language selection (which I couldn't select due to faulty touchpad), hence my Officejet was useless at this point.

Then I tried  MFG which allowed me to (somehow) get it into "Store Display" mode or something alike when it restarted. This defaulted the language to English and hey presto, I can print and scan again using the network with the touchscreen stuck on something or the other. But it works!

I hope this helps you, I can milk some further use out of this printer/ scanner yet!

Regards

Grunberger

HP Recommended
Just connect the printer to a router using an Ethernet cable. Had the exact problem and couldn't find help anywhere. Sort of figured it out on me own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.