Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Officeject Pro 6830 is less than a year old. I used it a few hours ago to print three Word documents with black ink and it worked fine. Now, when I printed my bank statement, the black ink came out smudged and with lines through it. After going through troubleshotting, cleaning the print heads multiple times, the printer won't print anything in black.

I'm using genuine HP cartridges, and the black cartridge is over half full, according the printer. I can print things in color, so I know it is not a network issue.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings @DTL8791,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to print in black. Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Have you tried to make a copy?

Recommend you to reseat the cartridges and try to make a copy. 

If the issue persists when you make a copy as well. Please try a different cartridge and try to print.

If the issue persists with a different cartridge as well. 

Please contact our phone support for the service options. 

HP Officejet Printers - Color or Black Ink is Not Printing

Keep me posted. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried cleaning the printheads, reseting the ink cartridges, checking the ink level.  Just will not print black.  Just quit working today.  I uninstalled the printer from windows and reinstalled.  Still no black.  Driver is up to date.  Warranty expired last year.  Why cant't you make a printer that lasts more than 2 stinking years???  Not printing on copies either!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Photosmart 5510, I have just printed about 16 photos without any issues, and it still prints images/etc fine; however I cannot print a form which I urgently need because, regardless of the many cleaning attempts, it refuses to print black in regular documents.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Claudia

HP Recommended

Hi @mhunsinger819,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer wherein it does not print in black.

This issue could occur if the cartridges are not vented properly or the printhead may be defective or damaged.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps in the link: Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi @ClaudiaW,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One Printer wherein it does not print in black.

This issue could occur if the cartridges are not vented properly or the printhead may be defective or damaged.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps in the link: Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

did you get a fix for this?? i am having the same problem.

black will not work printing or copying - i hardly use the **bleep** printer.

went to last resort and spent $60 on another cartridge today, and still nothing!!!!

have tried everything in troubleshooting - this product has been nothing but trouble, and of course, yes, it's out of warranty...

HP Recommended

Hi @tim35,

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer wherein it does not print in black. I also see that you have already replaced the cartridges and also tried the troubleshooting steps.

This could be a hardware issue with the printhead. As the printhead is not a replaceable part, the whole unit needs to be replaced.

Hence, I suggest that you contact HP phone support from this link: www.hp.com/contacthp
You may select the country and type the product# of the unit and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Did YOU get any useful information? I posted and received one response. Then I sent in the examples of how the black ink isn't printing but the other colors are and no one has touched it since. I see that his was a hile ago that you posted and you most likely have moved on from here -- but I figure that it's worth a chance! I have spent $147 on new cartridges, uninstalled, reinstalled, walked through ALL the steps recommended on their site, reset the printer etc. Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.