Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The whitish/overtly bright screen problem exactly started after upgrading to the new firmware, as you described. I cannot help but think of this as a conspiracy by HP to force us to buy new printers. I will never ever trust a firmware update by HP again (same goes with CISCO). If it isn't broken, NEVER UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!

HP Recommended

Where can I purchase the screen for the printer???

HP Recommended

That is an interesting idea - but how is one supposed to know what state of readiness the beastly machine has reached when one can't read the bally screen?

HP Recommended

And that link just goes to a mare's nest of printer models which look quite like my printer model - but aren't. Then one is patronised with pictures and a video on how to find the model name of one's printer. Which is no bally help because extra bits of name and alpha numerical codes have been added. Sigh.

HP Recommended

My story is the same re this printer model. Except I got mine at Curry's. Off to try and find a new screen on eBay >>> Thanks for the steer, guys.

HP Recommended

On my 8600 unit when I send a print job the printer responds - it is just that the screen is blank (white).

You can still scan and print from your PC, so the printer will work UNTIL you need to use the screen for something the PC software cannot do. Then what? Read on for the lowdown.

Unfortunately this printer and some others that used this same screen have all developed the same white screen problem. HP changed the screen on the new models (8620 and 8630), guess why?

This is what is wrong. The screen is still getting power, but it has developed a bad capacitor on the backplane (screen circuit board). It is caused by an overvoltage issue from the main printer board frying one or more of caps.

I have seen where some persons have replaced the screen with another one - that will fix the problem for a while, but it will come back sometime. Better to change the bad caps with ones that have a higher voltage rating.

If you are not tech savvy and don't know how to replace components give it to a competent PC repair shop - it's not that hard a fix, new caps are only 5 dollars and easy to change for somebody who is experienced with circuit boards.

To replace the screen on a printer is costly due to shipping such a big unit - thats why even when it's still in warranty all they will do is send you a replacement unit, not repair it. And when its out of warranty you are basically on your own!

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Hi, front screen blank. What's up with that? 

HP Recommended

I have posted here many times as to the cause and solution to this problem.

Do a search on skipper_bob.

To summarise

(1) It's not a firmware issue, it's the hardware. Really!

(1a) HP won't admit that this model is a lemon. Even emailing the CEO is a waste of time.

(1b) Note that HP changed the screen on later models because they knew it was a piece of Chinese crap.

(1c) Forget HP "support", they won't help and will put you through a special kind of expensive hell.

(2) Turning the printer on and off won't fix it, duh!

(3a) It might be the cable has become loose because of the hinge. If you are LUCKY!

(3b) Or over voltage has fried a cap on the screen circuit board.

(4) It can be fixed if you can be bothered to read the posts! For about US$ 25.

(4a) Changing the screen for a second-hand one will work for a time (about12 months). A load of them are on ebay, I wonder why? But Long enough to use up whatever ink you have and dump this piece of garbage. Or better still use it as a door stop.

(5) Be more careful in future when you buy a printer. Remember all of them are really in the business of selling ink not good printers.

(6) I'd tell you what to buy instead but they will edit it out.

Good luck

HP Recommended

Thank you. This worked!

HP Recommended

Same problem over and over from so many different hp printers, no, people, none of the mind numbing, taime wasting fixes you suggest to all who are willing to try anything,.

How about a real fix? Is there a fuse that needs to replacenc?

Does the board need replacing?

Does the entire printer need to be chunked in the burn pile.

What the heck good are you. yOu same the same advice over and over and over and over.

It does not work.

Now, tell me where the fuse is, where the wire mite need re soldering, send me  a new communications board or send my a new printer!

Thank you

Sally Beckum

3199 Hwy 12 West\

Sturgis Ms. 39769, if it cant be fixed, stop making us believe it is us, our power, our plig ins, our electricity. It is the product!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.