Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So, I haven't worried about updating the firmware on this in the past, but I now have a need to be able to print directly from my iPad over WiFi to the laser printer.  This means I needed to update the firmware.

I downloaded the firmware update from here..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-115794-2&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en...

And ran it (I'm running Windows 7, 64Bit, brand new fresh install, this PC was only setup about a week ago).  The printer is connected over WiFi, and I've had no problems using it to print over the last couple of years from several PCs.

It's been sat there now for about 45 minutes now looking like this...

The bar does progress as you would expect, but when it gets to the end, it starts over again, rinse, repeat.

There's no button to cancel the update, and I don't want to just turn off the printer, or kill the process and start over for fear of bricking my printer.

Any ideas?  Or is this printer now just an expensive doorstop?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Interestingly, although the firmware update software is still running (as it has been for approximately an hour and 10 minutes now), my iPhone and iPad do see it as an AirPrint printer (and I did a quick test print from my iPhone in Safari and it printed just fine).

However, as I said, the firmware update's still running on the PC, and now http://192.168.2.8 (the IP address of the printer, at least up until an hour or so ago) no longer connects to the printer through a browser (it did before I started this firmware update).
HP Recommended
Another update. The software just finally failed, told me to power cycle the printer and run the firmware update again.

Still no web interface, and it is no longer showing up as an airprint printer on my iPhone.
HP Recommended

One more update.

Just did the same thing, except it didn't wait an hour and a half to tell me it failed, just 5 minutes.

Power cycled it again, decided to uninstall the printer from Windows and reinstall it, and now it won't even recognise that there's a printer on the network (despite the blue light on the printer doing its usual flashing and then going solid to show it's signed on to a network).

So, looks like I have that doorstop I was talking about.  I guess this is what happens when you follow the instructions in the software.

HP Recommended

I give up.  After 3 hours, trying over WiFi, trying over USB, installing, uninstalling, configuring and reconfiguring, I finally got everything to work.

I unplug the power from the printer, as I had to temporarily put it on the desk by my PC in order to hook it up via USB and reconfigure it, replace the printer where it normally resides, plug it back in to the power (NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED), and it won't get an IP address.

If this is going to happen every time I unplug and replug power into the printer, it is essentially useless.

I can see a remake of this scene coming in the very near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBB93IqJkE

HP Recommended

Hi Kaouthia

I can understand how frustrating this can be.

Any firmware update should be done through a usb cable. If it isn't it could possibly cause hardware issues and loss of wireless connection.

Usually unplugging the power cable and moving the printer will not result in loss of wireless connectivity.

I would reset the printer first to clear out any previous network settings.
Turn the printer off, hold down the wireless button and cancel (x button) while turning the printer back on and don't release the two buttons until the printer stops making noise.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02486112

Print out a configuration report and make sure the ssid and ip address are cleared.
(hold down the x button and when the printer makes a noise let go)

After the reset, disconnect the routers power cable, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable. Wait till it's ready.

Plug the printer back into the computer with the usb cable.

Since the software is already installed then I would setup the wireless again by connecting the printer by usb to the computer.
Then go to start, all programs, hp, laserjet, wireless configuration wizard, follow the steps to setup the wireless.

Then try and print.

I would setup a static ip to resolve the issue for losing the printer over wireless.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection
Step six: Assign your HP product a static IP address
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02817031
(section 4.a. . set a manual ip, just type in the manual ip address from the new configuration page.
Subnet mask and gateway is also listed on the configuration page if not automatically filled in.

Now I would turn the printer off by the button and disconnect the power and move it to the proper location and reconnect the power cable to turn it back on.

Should still be connected to the network.

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Did you read the posts?

I've done it through USB.

Usually, no, it doesn't result in a loss of wireless connectivity, but since updating the firmware, that's EXACTLY what it does.

The printer's been reset several times.

I've printed out the configuration report, the SSID is correct, using DHCP the IP address is 0.0.0.0.  With a static IP, it's still not logging into the network.  It is not an issue with the printer acquiring an IP address, it is an issue with the printer not being able to log onto the network.

As I said, I've setup the printer over USB several times.  Every time I unplug the printer, move it where it normally lives, and plug it back in, it fails again.

I can't try and print because none of the PCs on the network recognise it, as it's not logging onto the network.

I am not new to PCs, or networks, I've been using them for the last 30 years, and PCs, Windows & HP Laser printers for the last 20.  I know how to narrow down a fault to the cause.  This issue is directly due to the firmware update.

Before the update, everything was working flawlessly.  Now, I'm about to buy the first non-HP laser printer I've owned in 2 decades.

HP Recommended

Hi Kaouthia

Here is some more information for you for setting up the p1102w.

If you  are trying to setup the printer on the wireless network you have to have a ip address first to setup the static ip address.

When you print the configuration page you shouldn't have a ssid or ip address when you restore the defaults. If you do then it didn't restore properly.

(reset the printer-turn the  printer off, then hold the wireless button & cancel button at the same time & turn on printer, when the printer stops making noise then release the buttons)

Power cycle the router and connect the usb cable back in and run the wireless configuration wizard to configure the wireless. Then you can access the printers embedded server and setup the printer with a static ip. You should be able to print again.

You stated that you are using usb and when moving the printer and reconnecting it again it doesn't print. So I am assuming you are setting also by usb then connection also. You probably have multiple p1102w listed in devices and printers folder. I would remove them and start over for the usb connection.

Hope this helps you out.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Sorry, did I fail to mention that I've owned the P1102w for 2 years already? And that it's worked flawlessly up until installing the firmware update?

Your assumptions on USB and having multiple P1102w printers listed are incorrect.

Thanks, but it doesn't help.
HP Recommended

Hi Kaouthia

I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Please keep me posted.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.