Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i just bought a photosmart 5520 to replace a photosmart b209, but i can't figure out how to remove the printhead if i need to clean it. how do i?!!? thanks

ps: 

i've just been trashed a brand new six months deskjet 3520 tring to do it because dry ink not removable with software cleaning prcedure. the photosmart has the same inaccessible printhead, plus the software is really really basic. the new 5520 seems just the 3520 with the photosmart prefix. honestly i don't like what's going on with products quality last years and what hp is doing to let us buy and trash their printers. probably, after 20 years, i won't be a customer any more, sorry.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi Pietro

The printhead on the PS 5520 isn't removable (no latch at the side). Are you running into a particular issue?

Thanks

Ciara

Printhead with latch compared to without latch.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

i think it's not tolerable i can't clean the printhead and have to trash the printer as the photosmart series is supposed to be high level printer series. you'll say bring back to support to repair, but we know that the it's cost won't be worth. so my issue is this is the last hp printer i've been bought. my mistake was to trust hp name without checking before buy after 3520 expirience.

HP Recommended

Hi pietro, sorry to hear you're not happy with the printer. Have you tried running a Printhead clean using the Tools option? Are you seeing a particular problem with print quality or an error msg?

Thanks

Ciara

HP Recommended

i'd like to know how do i remove the printhead if i need to clean it because dry ink (obiously if the cleaning by software isn't working). or, do i have to trash another printer?! thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Pietro,

For this printer model the printhead is non-removable but you should be able to do the cleaning you need by running a Printhead Clean. Can I ask do you plug the printer out at the wall when you're not using it, or do you always power down at the On/off switch? This is important because it ensures the printhead is capped properly.

Tip.jpg

You could probably find some youtube videos where people have taken the printer apart to get the printhead, but I definitely wouldn't recommend this if your printer is still in warranty.

If you run into any problems with print quality or a printhead error msg while the printer is in warranty, I'd advise contacting HP phone support.

Hope this helps

Ciara

HP Recommended

after few days of use this printer is definitely suffering the same problems of low budget deskjet printers... so photosmart is some useless, this printer is a deskjet with a better "dress"... even if the printing quality is quite good the printer gets poor as rating for me... so, tell your ceo to not complain if he's loosing market share and income...it's for a good reason and now i know why, i couldnt understand what i was reading on magazines... and i'm going to suggest family and friends to buy canon printers if needed, 'til hp will be back to quality level of old model of printers... sorry to leave hp printers after so many years

HP Recommended

I had the same probelm.  After I changed the cartridge (which I had done several times before) and used genuine HP cartridge about 60 pages printed fine.  Then even though I showed that I had plenty of ink the print looked like I was out of ink.   I ran the clean printhead" twice and now instead of partially printing in black there is NO black.  Now to find out I can't manually clean the print head is just too much. The warrenty on my Photosmart 5520 ran out 3 months ago,   I will NEVER buy another HP product.

HP Recommended

Disclaimer:  I am not an HP technician.  Performing this disassembly will void your warranty if it has not already expired.  I am not responsible for any damage caused by YOU taking your printer apart.  I am only giving these steps to help those people out that are about to trash a decent printer.

Hey guys, I know this thread is a little old.  Hopefully some of you OP's will get some use from it, but perhaps some of those searching this forum for answers will also. 

I was able to remove the print head!  It took a few minutes to get the covers and all off, but I'll give a step by step as follows:  You will need a small STAR HEADED screwdriver to remove the screws.

1.  Remove the sticker that has the model number on the cover, towards the right of the printer.  Underneath that sticker is a screw.  Remove it.

2.  Remove the control panel.  If you open the printer lid (as you would if replacing ink cartridges) and look from behind (flashlight needed), you'll see a little snap, simply press it down with one hand and remove the panel with the other starting from the left, and then right.  There will be some resistance, but it shouldn't break.  Careful!! There is a ribbon attached to it that must be removed safely.   Do not tear this ribbon.

3.  You will notice 2 silver screws under the control panel, left and right.  Remove those.

4.  With the lid still open, on the right side, there is a hinge that is hooked to the lid that goes under the cover of the printer.  Unhook it at the lid by pulling it towards the front of the printer.  It may be easier if the lid is not fully opened, and it will give a little resistance.  Don't worry, it wont break.  Oce you have it unhooked, open the lid all the way it can go and let it be.

5.  You will see a series of screws along the top perimeter of the cover.  Remove them all and don't forget the ones in the back.  Then remove the lid itself by lifting up.

6.  At this point, you can move the carriage assembly to the left towards the center.  To remove the print head assembly, you need to squeeze the tabs and gently remove it.  It may be easier to do it one side at a time.  CAREFULL!  There are 3 ribbons on the back of the print head assembly!  Remove the springs and the ribbons.  NOTE:  The springs are attached big end on the print head assembly, the small ends on the carriage assembly.

NOTE:  The placement of the dark ribbon that goes across the printer and how it is slipped into the back of the print head.  You will get a CARRIAGE JAM ERROR if you do not put it back properly.  The dark ribbon interacts with a sensor on the back of the printhead to determine its placement within the printer.

Do not use alcohol or any amonia based cleaners to clean the print head.  What I did was got a small bowl of hot (not boiling) water and carefully placed the print head in it, just enough to soak the bottom.  DO NOT GET THE SMALL PC BOARD WET!!!!  DO NOT GET WATER ONTO/INTO THE PORTS WHERE THE INK CARTRIDGES GO.  Use a coffe filter to clean the print head after soaking for about 30 seconds.  Change out the water and repeat until you're satisfied.  (I soaked and cleaned twice.) Gently shake the excess water out onto a few paper towels and let it sit for a minute or so.  It should dry quickly. 

Reverse the disassembly order to put the printer back together.  ONCE AGAIN TAKE NOTE:  You will get a "Carriage Jam" Error if you do not place the print head back in with the dark ribbon that goes across the printer BETWEEN the small sensor on the back of the print head.  You can't see the sensor itself.  The best way to describe it it a pice of plastic on the back of the print head, a small gap underneath it, and then another piece.  The ribbon goes in that small gap.  Its a little tough getting it back in.  The easiest way to get the springs back in is to place the print head back into the carriage assembly, then start from the back and stretch it to the front.

I apologize for the wall of text and lack of pictures.  I'm just remembering this from 20 minutes ago. 

HP Recommended

Excellent advice.   However the black ink still does not print.  The other colors are fine, but they were before I took the print head out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.