Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi my problem is an error message that says Printhead problem.  Remove all cartridges.  Next lift gray latch and remove printhead.  Then re-install printhead and cartridges.

Done that repeatedly.  Also tried taking one of black cartridges out, cleaning the printhead as outlined above and powering machine off from back and power.  No matter what error message will not leave.  Is it like check engine light and need to reset somehow?  Does the printer need new parts and how much are we looking at.  Even better is it something I can fix.  Very frustrating as spent a lot of time looking for answers online and nothing seems to do the trick.  If you can help I'd appreciate it.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Rass, thank you so much for your suggestion.  I don't have a waterpick but I placed the printer head under our hot water dispenser in the kitchen then dryed it with our air compressor.  That fixed the problem.  I am now printing!  You saved me $40. 

HP Recommended

Black quantity shows one third left but will not print black anymore.  3 cleaning processes did not fix it.  New cartridge installed with the same problems.  I am stuck!

HP Recommended

This is the solution from Rass.  It worked for me.

Re: HP Photosmart C309a won't print after installing new black ink cartridge.

I can vouch for this washing fix. Frustratingly it often means that you have binned perfectly good cartridges that are still holding ink as you try to restore black printing.

If you are rich and have a 'waterpick' for cleaning your teeth, simply fill it with hot water and blast through the screens as described and anywhere that ink can linger and you will fix it in five minutes, beats overnight soaking!

I have yet to damage a print head and I have used this technique on a number of inkjets.

I have to be honest and say that despite being a seriously good customer of HP I have gone right off their products due to the lack of customer service and their total obsession with selling you consumables. I think one should now think of them as ink suppliers rather than printer manufacturers, it makes you feel better.

I have always stuck to buying OEM consumables but you have to get real now the printers are so cheap, and now you know how to clean out your print head what is the risk??

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you.  I had installed a new black cartridge and print was faint and then gone.  I was about to sacrafice yet another cartrdige and found your instructions and fixed it.  I'm dumbfounded.  You made my day.  

HP Recommended

Will warm water affect the "contacts" on the back side?

HP Recommended

No, the water will not affect the "contacts."  I haven't had any problems since I cleaned it 3 months ago.

HP Recommended

It works! Use lukewarm water as suggested.  I'm able to use my printer now.  I'm broke and needed to print some documents, and am so glad I came across this fix.  

If anything else goes on this printer I will consign it to the scrap heap!   

I'm getting a laser printer next time.  Not sure it will be HP......

Thank you auto engineer for the post.  

HP Recommended

YOU are a GENIUS - Honor Student

I for one am so glad you took the time to explain in DETAIL on how to fix this problem.  I have tried 3 new HP 564 XL cartridges in my 309 n-s printer (figured the repair should work the same as the 309 a).

My daughter has tried to print college reports for about 3 days and I inserted a new black cartridge each time and no SUCCESS.  I thought I would have to junk the thing, but decided to look online to see if there was something I could do.

YOU are an absolute LIFE-SAVER!  Thank you so much....your work was not in vain.

I did skip the beer part as it is in the am, but I will have one tonite - guaranteed!

HP Recommended

Unemployed:  You are an absolute genius and I hope by now you have a job.  You could be a tech consultant.  And you speak English!  Thanks for taking the time to post these instructions.  I am happily getting my taxes off to my CPA today because you have made it possible!!! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.