Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, that's better.  Looks like you are on the same subnet now.  You were not earlier but you changed the IP of the printer.  That's what I suspected.

So.. status now?  Working??

HP Recommended

Yes thanks that seemed to work

But it is a bit random.  Please can you suggest if there is a solution either to get the printer to look at all devices regardless of which node they are on or if thats not possible how do I change the ipaddress so the laptop is on the same node.  It was trial and error this time by rebooting

Also what do you mean that they are on the same subnet - is that the first 3 parts of the ipaddress?

thanks very much 

HP Recommended

@Broooz wrote:

Yes thanks that seemed to work

But it is a bit random.  Please can you suggest if there is a solution either to get the printer to look at all devices regardless of which node they are on or if thats not possible how do I change the ipaddress so the laptop is on the same node.  It was trial and error this time by rebooting

Also what do you mean that they are on the same subnet - is that the first 3 parts of the ipaddress?

thanks very much 

Yes, pretty much.  If the first 3 octets are the same, you are on the same subnet.  Suggest you use a Static IP in the printer.

What is the DHCP address range of the router?  Please post that range first. 

Now, if not what I think it is (all IP addresses are DHCP), you need to change the range.  Make the range the following.

Starting DHCP address 192.168.86.100

Ending DHCP address 192.168.86.150

This will give you 50 DHCP addresses in the house.  Plenty.

Router is at 192.168.86.1 so it is already a static IP outside the range anyway.  This leaves 192.168.86.2 thru 192.168.86.99 and 192.168.86.151 thru 192.168.86.253 for static IPs.

Set the printer to a static IP of 192.168.86.10. 

Status now?

HP Recommended

Thanks - but I am not sure whether this refers to the router or to the primary node of the google mesh.  According to the google app,

router LAN  address 192.168.86.1

DHCP address pool 192.168.86.20 to 250

This is very helpful but I think i need a tutorial in what all these mean - DHCP etc,

thanks veyr much

Bruce

HP Recommended

@Broooz wrote:

Thanks - but I am not sure whether this refers to the router or to the primary node of the google mesh.  According to the google app,

router LAN  address 192.168.86.1

DHCP address pool 192.168.86.20 to 250

This is very helpful but I think i need a tutorial in what all these mean - DHCP etc,

thanks very much

Bruce

Great.  Smart of Google to leave you some Static IP room.

Simple... set the printer to a Static IP of 192.168.86.10.   Done.  See... it's outside your DHCP range.  Just Google DHCP and start your learning process!  As you can see your router is already at a static IP because it is outside the DHCP range like all routers are.

Networking is simple... networking is fun! 

HP Recommended

Great thank you veyr much you have bene most helpful.  I am assuming that will work when on a different node of the wifi.  If so then you have helped a lot of people as noone else seemed to know the answer.  Meanwhile I will fiddle try that and see if my wife can print!  All the best

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back with the data for me.  Have since learned that Google Mesh does set the IP range to 192.168.86.xx. 

And only WPA2-AES @Dragon-Fur is supported because of security concerns, thanks to him for that info.  Don't want any older security issues to arise.

HP Recommended

thanks again - just confirming that did work - setting a static IP address - not sure why HP troubleshooter doesnt suggest that.  Anyway I really appreciate all your help.  Best wishes

Bruce

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.