Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@zeppu127 wrote:

My Printer HP PHOTO SMART D110 is "Wireless" connected. The drivers used are from the original CD installation.  It will be working fine than all of a sudden when I need something printed immediately it just automatically "Disconnects". The only cure is for me to totally unplug the printer, the router, and the computer and reboot all. This is maddening because usually the item I want printed is an online Internet item. Crazy!!!! I can't believe HP had not yet come up with a premanent fix. I downloaded a fix which claimed it would take care of this problem. An exercize in futility!!!

This was happening to my wireless Photosmart All-in-One printer as well. I found an easier way to deal with this on this forum. It's not a perfect solution but when I can't get my printer to print, and it says it's not connected - even though it is - I run the "HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility". This is supposed to "help resolve jams, carriage stalls, and copy or scan mechanism issues. Checks ink levels and troubleshoots print quality issues." When I find the disconnect problem happening, I run this exe file and it usually works - 90% of the time. The other 10% I have to reboot the printer, then I run HPHDU.exe again and it works fine. 

You can find it here with a couple of other utilities you might want: 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c03291586

The file I was talking about is HPHDU.exe and you can download it specifically here:  

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=mp-114...

Also, rather than downloading the software from the CD, you might want to check to see if HP has updated software for your printer that you can download - I think it's here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?taskId=135&prodSeriesId=4023244

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the instructions.......I did everything you asked me to follow. Let's hope it works! It's very aggrevating as the problem happens when you need the printer the most.

HP Recommended
I absolutely agree. Even though I get it to work, it's still maddening that I have to run this diagnostic tool at least every 6-8th time I print something.  When I bought this printer I had thought that having a wireless printer would be a great convenience. Unfortunately, every wireless printer I've ever heard of seems to lose it's network connection way to often. I can run the diagnostic tool and - 9 times out of 10 - it will automatically get the printer back to working. But I still hope that HP is working on a permanent solution to this and we will all get software upgrades.
HP Recommended

kkrawz,

Regarding my previous message: I installed all instructions, well guess what, the danged thing acted up again even though the HP Solution Center tells me that my printer is "Connected". Long story short what I finally had to do is disconnect my internet cable from my router and also power. Disconnect the printer and waited 5 minutes before connecting everything back on. God help me, it finally did the job and is now working, for how long? Who knows. I am really perturbed by this unit and I cannot believe that HP is so indifferent when everyone else is experiencing this problem.

HP Recommended

This is crazy - I know. Take a look at the ranting on Google and at least you will know that you are not alone. 

I'm just hoping I can get another couple of years out of this printer before I throw it against a brick wall.

HP Recommended

Shamefully I keep waiting for this piece of S#@% to break so I have an excuse to throw it in the garbage. HP should've come up with a resolution for this problem long time ago.........disgusting!!

HP Recommended

My C6280 guves me the same issue when I try to scan. Printing works once I downloaded and installed the latest install. I am on Windows 8. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi tbrett,

I am sorry to hear that your C6280 is saying the printer is disconnected when you try to scan. I have looked into this issue for you and I recommending running HP's Print and Scan Doctor to find and fix common printer problems.

I hope this helps!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Did you try the HP Printer Install Wizard? It is a tool specifically for people using Windows 7 or 8 - if you think you are having trouble finding the right printer driver for a Windows 7 system. This is where you find it that tool:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

If you got your wireless printer not too long ago, welcome to our world! These wireless printers are really convenient - when they connect to the network! But they are notorious for dropping the connection - especially if you use a VPN. Very frustrating! I find that I use printer diagnostic tools from HP all the time, but they only help about half the time. Very often, you just have to shut everything down and reboot it all. But I don't use Windows 7 so perhaps you'll have an easier time. 

You will definitely want to download the HP Print and Scan Doctor on your system:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/n...

This is their diagnostic tool you can use for Windows 7 PCs to try and diagnose and repair problems with multi-function wireless printers.

One last thing is to find the page for Tips on Maintaining a Wireless Connection for your Printer. On HP.com, once you've entered your printer, you can go to the search field and search for "Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection". I have a different printer but many of the tips will apply to all wireless multi-function printers so if you have any trouble finding this for your specific model, this is what I found for mine:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02790693

Good Luck!

Karen

HP Recommended

I have the same problem . What is the solution?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.