Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 2542 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP deskjet 2542 printer is online(wireless) and scans but will not print. I have done everything suggested online such as uninstalled and reinstalled updated software and drivers/checked firewall issues/ scan doctor/ etc. but nothing works. My wife has an Asus laptop that still prints wirelessly on this printer. My desktop worked with this printer until just recently. When I check the printer queue after trying to print either it is in the queue for only seconds and disappears or does  not get into the queue at all.

This is driving me crazy and would appreciate any help you can offer.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @petrosoni55

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you are having issues printing from your computer.

Don’t worry, I’d love to help!

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• I would like to know whether you are getting any error when trying to print?
  • When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software/hardware changes on your computer?

Meanwhile, follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2nCDo9D

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1). there are no error messages

2). Printer worked fine until last week ( Saturday //3/25/17).

3). No software or hardware changes: do use avira antiviral  and avira optimizer)

4). the computer is listed as online(not offline) and the default printer  but not communicating with desktop ie. when attempt to print nothing is loaded into the printer queue.

HP Recommended

Hi @petrosoni55

Thanks for the information.

I recommend you to follow below steps and check.

1. If the printer is off, turn on the printer, and then check the status of the printer.

• If the printer starts printing jobs from the print queue, your printer is clearing out queued print jobs and is online. You can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer goes to an idle state after its startup routine, it might be online.

• If the computer still shows the printer as offline, continue using these steps.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the printer power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds. Restart the computer while you are waiting.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Make sure the printer is connected to the computer or the network.

• Wireless network connection: On the printer, open the Wireless network or Settings menu to make sure the wireless signal is turned on. Make sure the light next to the Wireless icon  is on and steady.

• Wired network connection: Make sure the cable is connected to the printer Ethernet port  and to an available port on the router. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink.

Figure : Connect the cable to the printer and to the router

Connect the Ethernet cable to the printer and to the router
    • USB connection: Make sure the cable is securely connected to the printer and to a working USB port on the computer.

9. Try to print.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did this for the third time and did not work. Printer is online/ scanner works but no data is transfered to the printer queue and printer does not print!

HP Recommended

Hi @petrosoni55

I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2oP3JoX

NOTE: Ignore the steps you have already performed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This article is for printer offline: the printer is not offline it is online and scanner works which proves the wireless connection is not the problem. The print  aspect is not working ie the c omputer is not communicating with the printer even though the printer is  online. I am beginning to agree with the advisor previously that it is a hardeware problem with the printer?

HP Recommended

Hi @petrosoni55

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Follow below steps to contact phone support.

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Alas nothing has worked. I now know that it was not a hardware problem with the 2542 as I purchased a HP Envy 4500 printer and the exact problem persists. 

I have just purchased an HP Envy 4500 printer,

When attempting to print from a PC with windows 10 (64 bit), the print job appears in the queue and then dissapears but the printer doesn't print anything.

Everything else appears to be working fine i.e.

• The printer prints its internal test page
  • The printer prints when using iPad2
  • The printer prints when using ePrint
  • The PC recognises and communicates with the printer (tried with both wireless and USB connections)
  • Scanning function works fine - when initiated from the PC and from the printer

I have tried

• uninstalling and reinstalling the software (several times using software from different sources)
  • restarting the printer queue service
  • turning off the firewall
  • running the HP Print and Scan Doctor
  • following the instructions found here (the issue is identical but the OS different):

Print Jobs Disappear from the Print Queue and Do Not Print (Windows 10).

Please someone help!!

HP Recommended

Also: 

The Print and Scan doctor gave me all green ticks.  It is at the next step where it prints a test page that I hit the problem.  The test page appears in the queue and then dissapears (as if it had printed) but nothing prints.  The next step where it prints the internal test page works fine.

I bypassed the spooler as per instructions.  Upon doing so, printing a test page from printer properties or from any application gives errors from window  and directs me to the Windows Diagnose and fix... which comes up with no solutions.

I then ran the Print and Scan doctor again - with exactly the same results as before i.e. test page sent to queue (with no windows errors) and dissapears without printing.

I also tried stopping and starting the spooler again.. but no joy.

Where do i go from here?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.