Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2050
Chrome OS

Hi,

I have HP Print for Chrome installed on my Chromebook to connect our HP Deskjet 2050. Until recently printing has been working fine but lately we have had problems with the printed page looking completely different to the preview screen.

For example: Printing pdf docs at completely the wrong scale and cutting off the top/bottom of the page. 

Printing from Google Sheets - having selected 'landscape' and 'fit to paper' settings and appearing correct on the print preview, the actual print comes out portrait and too big for the paper.

Any idea how to fix this? Does the app need an update?

Just to add, previously I had been unable to figure out how to add the printer to Google Cloud Print because following the instructions on the Chromebook the 'Add Classic Printer' option was never available in the 'manage devices' browser. However having watched a tutorial today I realised I could set it up if the printer was connected to my Packard Bell laptop on Windows 10 by accessing the settings through Chrome on there. However, in order to print from the Chromebook using the Deskjet 2050 via Google Print Cloud, the Deskjet has to be connected via USB cable to the Packard Bell computer rather than the Chromebook (because the printer doesnt have it's own internet connection)...this is pretty unweildy BUT having printed this way I can confirm that the Google Sheets file I was trying to print DID print as expected per the preview. This further leads me to believe there is a glitch with the HP print to Chrome App?

Anyone else experienced this or found a fix?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Hannah84

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the print isn't similar to the previews prior to printing & USB connection is detecting the Packard bell laptop instead of the HP Chromebook,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that the HP Desktop 2050 is wireless capable and you should have no trouble using either Cloud printing or ePrinting?

While you respond to that, here's a link that should help you use the printer's wireless capabilities: Click here for details.

For details on Fixing Poor Print Quality: Click here

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Thanks for your response.

To clarify, the printer works when connected via USB to the chromebook using the HP Print for Chrome app BUT in this scenario the printer output is not faithful to the print preview or settings e.g landscape selected but printer prints portrait or 'fit to page' selected but printer misses part of the document from the top and bottom of the page.

The printer also works when connected as a classic printer via Google Cloud Print but has to be connected via USB to my Packard Bell in order for the Chromebook to find it. If not connected to either laptop, and print job sent via cloud print on the Chromebook,  the document just waits in the queue until the printer is connected to the Packard Bell via USB. However when printing via Cloud print the printer output is correct (orientation, scale, borders etc). 

Basically there is a problem with the way the information is getting to the printer when printing via the HP Print app which I want to know if it is possible to resolve. 

I don't think the 2050 does have wireless capability? I can't see any mention of wireless connection in the manual I have or in the product specifications. It's a pretty old model. I'm pretty sure I bought it 7 or maybe 8 years ago. I also can't find a WiFi symbol anywhere on the product and presumably if it was WiFi enabled the Chrome book would be able to 'see' it and connect as a cloud ready printer which does not come up as an option? Happy to be proven wrong though 😉

Hope that clarifies the problem.

I've read the links you sent but don't think either are relevant here...the wireless connection instructions don't seem to be applicable and the printing issues are not related to the print settings  (alignment etc is all ok)

Regards

Hannah

HP Recommended

Hi @Hannah84,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I have found a wonderful document, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document and check if that helps.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.