Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP 7640 is working fine. but while asleep it makes a high pitched, low volume, whinny humming sound.  If I touch the NFC icon or do anything to wake it, the sound stops.  

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi @torky !

Welcome to the forumsSmiley Happy

My best suggestions for the issue you are having with your Envy 7640 making unusual noises when it's in sleep mode would be the following.

1. Reset the printer and ensure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors.

Press the Power button to turn on the product.
With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

2. Update the Firmware: Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

3. Remove and reinstall the ink cartridges

Honestly, if the noise continues, I would suggest calling HP to see about a replacement if the printer is still under warranty. I can't say that I hear of this situation often, so I wouldn't call it normal. Smiley Wink

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Good luck and have an awesome WednesdaySmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I too notice this noise while the printer is "sleeping".  It is a very annoying high pitched tone that occasionally oscilates up and down.  If you touch the power button to "wake up" the display, the sound shreeks upward and stops once the display is on.  The noise is not apparent when the display is on.  If you power off the printer but leave it plugged in it pretty much sounds like a mosquito is constantly in your ear.  This is not a loud noise but is very noticable in a home.  It would probably not be noticed in an office environment.  If I were to make an educated guess, I'd say that it has something to do with the display.  My printer is plugged directly into the wall outlet.

HP Recommended

Just got one of these for Christmas.  Same exact problem.  Love the printer, but I can't take the constant buzz.  Wish there was a setting to keep it from going asleep.  

Tried everything posted above.  Same results.  Any other solutions? Or do I just need to return it.

HP Recommended

Hi folks! I hope you enjoyed your holidays 🙂

I read your messages about the noise issues, and would suggest that you give us a call if you have tried the steps I posted above. I included the contact information as well. There may be a hardware problem causing the noise.

I hope you have a great Monday:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Had the same issue, went to store, changed the printer for same model... same issue.

the "consumer" options only let you prevent the printer from going to sleep for up to 15 minutes, you can't prevent it forever in that menu.

Called HP support, asked for escalation to level 3 support to request a way to avoid it going into stand-by mode. Yes, there is one but you have to get into the engineering menu of the printer to be able to do that. Here is the step by step that Level 3 support walked me trough, they worked for me. YMMV, so do it at your own risk:

1) get to the enginnering menu on the printer

• Read this first before pushing any buttons: on the top left corner, NEXT TO THE SCREEN, there is a home button, some times it is lit up sometimes it is not, on te bottom left corner, NEXT TO THE SCREEN, there is a back arrow button, sometimes it is lit up, and sometimes it is not (THESE BUTTONS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCREEN, NOT ON THE SCREEN)
  • Now push as follows (even if the buttons are not lit up): BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON ONCE, then, TOP LEFT BUTTON 3 TIMES.
  • The screen should now show the Engineering menu.

2)how to get to the menu where you change the system mode timeout settings:

• Look for a menu option called "Underware".
  • (Stop giggling and send a telepathic mental high-five to the HP engineer who named that menu)
  • Go into "underware".
  • several new arrows appear. Click the UP arrow until you see "System Menu"
  • Hit OK
  • Click the up arrow until you see "System Mode Time Out"
  • Hit OK

3)BE CAREFUL NEXT - dont go past zero - AND BE PATIENT.

• you now see a large number, like 800 or something, push the down arrow once. you are now at 799, Repeat again and again until you reach zero.
  • (Stop being angry and as you keep pushing 798 times do send a telepathic mental -duh- to the HP engineer who built this UI menu.... on a touch screen... without adding a number pad)
  • DO NOT GO PAST ZERO!  (I dont know what happens if you do)
  • Once you see ZERO, HIT OK
  • You now see "System mode timeout" but not the zero

4)Exit back

• Push the red X
  • Push Home.

Your printer will never go to sleep. Enjoy your super quiet home-office, without a high-pitch whine from the printer, while HP troubleshoots what's going on with the standby power modes in this series and offers a fix.  You did register your printer purchase right? otherwise how will you find out?

D-user.

HP Recommended

Ok ...now we ALL know that HP 7640  makes a constant high pichting ANNOYING noise in sleep mode.

I have one ...same issue obviously.

Is HP really working on a fix OR not ?????

Just read the "quick" fix above, but I am not fully happy to leave me printer ON all the time, if there a sleeping mode is surely to save on the wattage during the life a the printer !

PLEASE HP ...fix this....this noise is so annoying !

Thanks

HP Recommended

D-user,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. If your anything like me, it was because you needed to procrastinate homework or studying haha.

I set mine to about 2.5 hours. When I enter my office to work, I hit the power button on my printer as I walk by. I figure it might save the life of the screen or printer possibly.

<UPDATE>

I just noticed that the printer goes crazy and starts making weird noises when the screen is set to a different Brightness. When I dimmed it to about 50% it started making annoying noises. Looks like we might have troubleshot it a little bit. Maybe it's the way the screen circuit was designed. HP, please fix your .... stuff.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I had exactly the same problem.  Tech support took me through the same fix.  No luck.  Returned printer to the store.  The replacement did the same thing.  Will return this one tommorrow and shop for something else.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem but when I called HP customer service they told me that the noise is a normal part of operation.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.