Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 970
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I love my old DeskJet 970 CXi printer but cartridge supply is an issue.  Ebay is about the only place.  I just bought a '78' Tri-colour cartridge which is supposedly brand new, but it doesn't work - the test pages don't contain a trace of colour.  I've tried priming the cartridge, but with the same results.  The date on the box says 'Mar 2017'.   However, when I received it, I discovered the box was not sealed (OK - this was what the seller had pointed out) but nor was the inner casing holding the cartridge.  Upon removing the cartridge, the seal protecting where the ink comes out at the bottom was only loosely on - to all intents and purposes, there's enough evidence for even the most dim-witted Sherlock Holmes to deduce it's been used.   However, it weighs in at 108 gms compared to my old empty one at 96 gms so there's obviously something inside.    Is there some indication on the catridge itself which tells me how old it is?   For example, the barcode or the markings stamped into the cartridge body?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@splinternet

Sad story, indeed.    Ink is not cheap -- it is disappointing when you don't get value for your good money spent.

The following document provides a chart that shows where the "Warranty End date" is located on those cartridges for which there is still information available.  (Scroll down on the page...)

HP Printers - Ink Cartridge and Printhead Limited Warranty

The ink for this printer appears to be available from HP:

HP Deskjet 970cxi Professional Series Printer Ink Cartridges

If necessary, contact HP -- ask for help obtaining your ink directly from HP.

From the USA SureSupply Webpage:  1-800-hp-direct (800-473-4732)

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click my post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,  many thanks for your response.   The cartridge is stamped with '20170303' - very feint but I can just make it out in the right light.   So this seems to tie-up with the date on the box.   

I hadn't realised the HP Store (the UK one - this is where I live) sells the HP 78 cartridge.   I recall at various times in the past (I must have had the printer for 15 years or more) searching the store and not finding it, and in fact I recall an exchange with HP Customer Support where they advised me to look on eBay (!).   So I just looked on the UK Store and they do indeed have it ....for £67!      Generally, this cartridge is on eBay for about £10-£15 depending on age, and I buy about two each year (also the HP 45).   I once bought a 45 which didn't work, but otherwise they've all worked well, even if they're a year or so past the box date.   £67 would go a long way towards the cost of a new printer, which I guess HP would like :smileywink:.

Anyway, the seller has offered to send me a replacement 78.   The main thing is that the cartridge matches the date on the box, I guess I have to put this malfunction down to bad luck on this occasion.

Does HP specify the weight of a brand-new cartridge?   That would perhaps tell me if this one has been pre-used.

HP Recommended

@splinternet

@splinternet wrote:

Does HP specify the weight of a brand-new cartridge?   That would perhaps tell me if this one has been pre-used.

I cannot answer for other cartridges -- the cartridges I purchase from HP SureSupply do not appear to provide the ink weight on box or cartridge.

When you purchase ink from HP, the ink is warrantied as explained in the document:

HP Printers - Ink Cartridge and Printhead Limited Warranty

NOTE:  Document Link is to the "en" site (USA) -- your warranty may differ due to regulations in your location.

For example, if you were to purchase the ink from HP and the "new-in-box" cartridge is deemed defective, HP options include replacement (of the ink cartridge) or refund of the purchase price.  (Section What HP will do).

eBay (at least in the US) is protective of the buyer -- if you cannot get back your money from the seller, consider contacting eBay:  Explain the situation and ask for options.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.