Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have learned that my color cartridges can be used up while only printing documents in black and white. I would like to change the printer settings on my Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.8 in the System Preferences. Currently there is not a visible label for "changing printer settings for grayscale". My B209a is currently out of warranty. The tech who I chatted with on Chat told me that there are settings for this.

I would like to be sure that there are settings on my Mac All-in-One software where I can choose to switch to Color or Grayscale on this model. The usual settings could be found in Windows, but in order to get support from the Mac Department I have to order a new warranty.

The serial number is {Removed for privacy}. I purchased the All-in-One in January 2010. I find that it uses more ink than my previous HP printer. I am not clear as to whether I can opt for a new warranty at the quoted price of $35 and get this question answered.

If I pay the warranty and HP can not help me to print in Grayscale, then can I get a refund for the warranty? I would not like to use this printer anymore if I have to buy too much ink for it.

If anyone here can help me locate those Mac settings I would not have to get a warranty and I could just order the cartridges.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey Pal!

Take a look at it.

Follow these steps to open and use the Paper Type/Quality panel in Mac OS X 10.5.
Step one: Open the Paper Type/Quality panel
  1. In the program you want to print from, click File , and then click Print . The Print window displays.
      NOTE:  The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue arrow next to the Printer field to expand the window.
    Figure 1: Print dialog box
    Image of the Print dialog box and the drop-down arrow
  2. In the expanded Print window, click the down arrow next to the name of the program to see the available panels.
    Figure 2: Click the down arrow next to the name of the program
    Image of the down arrow next to the program name.
  3. Click Paper Type/Quality . The Paper Type/Quality panel displays in the Print window.
    Figure 3: Paper Type/Quality panel
    Image of the Paper Type/Quality panel
Step two: Change any print settings
There are three tabs at the top of the Paper Type/Quality panel. Select a tab to see the available settings, and then use the following descriptions of each tab to help you change the settings.
Paper tab
Select the Paper tab to change the paper type, the print quality, the color type, and the paper source for the print job.
Figure 4: Paper tab
Image of the Paper tab
  • Paper Type: Use the Paper Type drop-down list to choose the specific type of paper within the selected paper group.
  • Quality: Depending on the print job, select the appropriate print quality from the Quality drop-down list:

• Draft for the fastest printing
  • Normal for everyday printing
  • Best for the highest-quality printing
  • Maximum dpi for the best quality when printing on photo paper
  • Color: Use the Color drop-down list for color management or to print in grayscale.
  • Paper Source: Use the Paper Source drop-down list to select the appropriate paper tray.
Color Options tab
Select the Color Options tab to specify image settings and to adjust specific color settings.
Figure 5: Color Options tab
Image of the Color Options tab
Move the sliders to the right and to the left to adjust the color saturation, brightness, and tone.
Ink tab
Use the Ink tab to specify ink volume and dry time. Move the sliders right or left to adjust the ink settings.
Figure 6: Ink tab
Image or the Ink tab
Using Printing Presets to save your settings
You can save your print settings for future use by creating a Printing Preset . The default Preset setting is Standard .
  1. In the Print window, click the Presets drop-down arrow.
    Figure 7: Print dialog box
    Image or the Print dialog box
  2. Select Save As , type the name of your new setting, and then click OK to save the Preset.
    Figure 8: Save Preset dialog box
  3. To use this Preset in the future, click the Presets drop-down arrow, and then select your Preset setting.

You can view how to make changes...instead of color select grayscale

if you are not able to view images click on below link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01662356 

Let me know if that helps.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accept as Solution"

Thanks and Regards
vishu
HP Recommended

Hi, I am not sure why I am not getting any professional replies to this message. All I can say is I ordered ink and it is going to go the way the ink did before, all the colors into the black text documents, unless someone replies to my question about how to set the grayscale  to work on Mac, and then be able to reset it for use of color when needed.

I would appreciate people who are part of HP or who are moderating forum to give me some answers because HP wants $1.59 to answer this question, but has told me to go to forum for help from people all over the world! Thank you in advance for any comments.

HP Recommended

I have been messing around with my new HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus All-In-One trying to figure out how to print in grayscale for 4 days and I am very computer literate.  Just as I was getting ready to call tech support, I stumbled across your answer to sucer.  Kudos to you - YEA!!  Even though my HP is a completely different model, this completely worked for me.  I have owned a number of HP printers that I loved and a Canon that I HATED, but really, the difficulty level of finding the option to change to grayscale on this printer in the Mac is ridiculous!  I work with a guy, a lawyer, whose undergrad degree is in Computer Programming and he can't get his Cannon to print in grayscale.  I will pass this on to him immediately.  Thanks for your answer to sucer!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.