Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HELP! I have installed a new modem and now my printer won't work. I need to change the wireless network name and password on the printer but it wont allow me because the printer tells me that it has an administrator lock on it. I am the only one who uses the printer so not sure how it was locked? I urgently need to unlock this so that I can change the wireless password so that the printer can work again. I have an Officejet Pro 8600. Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Did you read your manual on how to reset the printer back to factory defaults to reset the password???  Reset network settings on page 224.

Reset network settings
To reset the administrator password and network settings, complete the following steps:
1. On the printer control panel, touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network.
2. Touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes.

A message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.
NOTE: Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been
reset. For more information, see Understand the network configuration page.
NOTE: Resetting the printer’s network settings also resets the printer’s firewall settings. For
more information about configuring the printer’s firewall settings, see Configure the printer’s
firewall settings.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the very prompt reply.  Sadly I am unable to restore network defaults as the printer says that it is locked by the administrator???  How do I remove this administrator lock please?

HP Recommended

Exactly the same issue I have on the 6700, cant reset it because of the password.

HP Recommended

unplug the printer 10 secs from printer then plug back in push back button 4 times consecutively and a menu will come up to reset to factory settings 

I talked to hp and they couldnt figure this out they were sending me a reconditioned one i worked at it for hours and finally figured it out

HP Recommended

how do I unlock myHP8600 printer. We have just moved house & have a new modum

HP Recommended

How Do i unlock or reset the system admin locks when the reset is also locked along with the wizard and everything that can be locked. I read the manuel page 224 but like i said th reset is also locked??? 

HP Recommended

the reset is also locked and it dosent give me a yes option

HP Recommended

Hi need help to configure my new wireless

HP Recommended

I can not unlock the printer has always worked and last week it is telling me is locked and contact your administrator which is me I setup my printer?  I didn't have a manual that goes to page 224 only a small manual with my printer that your talking about.  Also if I go to settings and Network Defaults it's still saying locked?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.