Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I unlock the printing shortcuts on my HP Officejet Pro 6978 so I can print correctly? And...why are they locked in the first place? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The shortcuts are locked because the are the default ones, but if you change any of the options in the shortcut you can then save it under a different name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

The shortcuts are locked because the are the default ones, but if you change any of the options in the shortcut you can then save it under a different name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

So, I am to assume that the default printing shortcuts can't be changed.  I have to create new ones to use for each kind of printing I need to do?  Sounds like HP has made life difficult for customers.  Do you know of any reason that they did that?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

That is correct, the default shortcuts cannot be changed.

But you can make any change that the driver will allow without having to save a new shortcut.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help!  By the way...how do you make changes to the driver?  Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

HP Recommended

You can not make any changes to the printer driver.

Can I ask what type of paper/size are you trying to print on?

HP Recommended

You previously mentioned something about making changes that the driver would allow.  I was questioning what was meant by that.  I was trying to print a photo on some HP photo paper.  It was only allowing me to print on a 4 x 6 and I was wanting a 5 x 7.  I made do with the 4 x 6 in the end.  Also...the printer seems to print way too dark on the photo paper if I use the photo paper setting on the printer.  If I use plain paper, the photo prints great.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Here is my shortcut for a 5x7 print. (it will take awhile b4 you will see the image, HP policy)

Each image presents it own problem but it should be close to what you see on your screen.

What program are you using to print from?

One othe thing to check is the frmware on the printer, latest is MCP2CN1623AR. (see this link)

6970.JPG

HP Recommended

I cannot see the image.  I checked and the printer has the latest updates.  I just installed the printer about a week ago. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. It is a 64 bit operating system and has 8 GB of memory.  I have an ASUS Phenom processor 3 GHz.  It is a custom built computer and runs great!  I am printing after going to My Pictures, selecting the photo I want to print and then printing from the window that appears.  That is how I always have printed pictures with no problems until I got this new printer.  My old printer was an HP Photosmart Premium c309a and wouldn't print from my pc after the latest Windows update.  Would you like me to upload the image of the window that I get when I try to change the printer settings?

HP Recommended

Let me see the image.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.