Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 8500a e-all-in-one printer

Mac OS 10.7

Since I set up the printer, EVERY time I start my computer I get the message:

"Do you want the application "printerAgent" to accept incoming netwrk connections?"

This comes from the firewall.

EVERY time I give permission, but it's not remembered.

I cannot find any application "printerAgent", so I cannot add it to the firewall "approved" list.

How to sort it, please!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Uninstall the printer software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall <<<< This IS the Scrubber Option, there is no button labeled "Scrubber"
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Download and install this: support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If you want advanced features you can get the Full Feature software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page, but you do not absolutely need it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Let's do a couple of things for your Mac:

1. Repair Permissions:

- Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.  Open it.

- Choose your Macintosh HD on the left, then "Repair Disk Permissions" along the bottom.

2. Disable your firewall, restart your Mac, then re-enable the firewall.  It will ask for permission one more time, but should remember it this time.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks.

Tried that - sorry same as before!

Still asks for permission, even after further re-start.

What next?

HP Recommended

Uninstall the printer software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall <<<< This IS the Scrubber Option, there is no button labeled "Scrubber"
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Download and install this: support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If you want advanced features you can get the Full Feature software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page, but you do not absolutely need it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same probelm since upgrading to 10.7

Have followed your suggested fix, but no change.

Message still comes up after reboot.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks

HP Recommended

thanks - this has worked so far - the annoying and obstructive message has disappeared

but I have not yet re-installed all my printers

I am travelling at the moment - when I get back to base in 3 weeks time, I will re-connect to my wi-fi printer - then we shall see if the fix is complete!!!

HP Recommended

Open up a terminal and type:

rm ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.hp.printerAgent.plist

You won't see the message ever again. Basically what this does is prevent the printerAgnet from starting up and asking you for permission. If you need the printerAgent, in theory you might be able to select this file and add it as an exception, although I have not tried that. I just got rid of mine. 

HP Recommended

I get the same on MAC 10.9 

If I delete Users/ME/Library/LaunchAgents/com.hp.printerAgent.plist  shall be able to use my  laserjet P1102  in the house Network ?

the content of the file -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.hp.printerAgent</string>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>Program</key>
<string>/Library/Printers/hp/laserjet/P1100_1560_1600Series/printerAgent</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Library/Printers/hp/laserjet/P1100_1560_1600Series/printerAgent</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>ServiceIPC</key>
<true/>
<key>Sockets</key>
<dict>
<key>MyListenerSocket</key>
<dict>
<key>SockServiceName</key>
<string>51100</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

is it possible to change OnDemand by Yes or Always ?

thanks

HP Recommended

I have an older iMac with Mac OSX 10.7.5 and recently started receiving the request for permission for "printerAgent" at every start-up.  Can I get rid of this message "safely"?   I am very computer illiterate, so if you could help me I would GREATLY appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Hi 2etbrd

I understand you are getting a request for permission at every start up.

I have included a post from the Apple forums that you can take a look at to see if it will fix this issue.

Hope that helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.