Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This issue has become increasingly frustrating. I go to print something, and every time I do, I have to wait a good five minutes or so for the printer to run through all of its maintanance tasks. It never performs these tasks when idle, only when I try to use it, making me wait every time. This may be by design, and not a flaw, but it seems counterintuitive to wait until the user actually wants to print something before performing these time consuming tasks. When shopping for printers, speed is a factor the buyer often considers, and whatever the listed speed is (X pages per second) is completely negated by the fact that there is a five minute delay before printing anything. Perhaps this is because some of these tasks are noisy, but surely it would be possible to set a schedule of hours during which maintanance could be performed while the printer is idle.

Am I missing a setting somewhere that will allow these tasks to be done during down time? I have explored the menu options, and there doesn't seem to be one, but perhaps I'm overlooking something. Overall, this has been a good printer, but having such a delay every time I print is a dealbreaker for me. If there is no way around this, I don't think I'll be going with HP again when I get a new printer (which will be soon if this problem persists). Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@SuperSam64

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

Follow this link and update the printer's firmware. Once done, re-start the printer, and try to print. 🙂

Let me know if it worked. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for replying, but this feels a bit like a canned response not specific to the issue at hand. Can you explain to me the purpose of trying a firmware upgrade as a solution? Nothing is mentioned in the change log about any modification to the maintenance schedule. And I'm not even sure whether this is a malfunction or something that is working as it should by design (if the latter, it's a poor design).

As a side note, the printer is indeed on the latest firmware already. And while we're at it let's get this out of the way: I've already tried the basics, from a power cycle to factory reset.

If someone can offer some insight as to why this is happening, whether it is the intended behavior, and whether there is a solution or workaround to get it to work in a more intuitive fashion, it would be much appreciated.
HP Recommended

@SuperSam64

I'm sending out a Private message with the required information's,

Keep me posted,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@SuperSam64

It looks like you were interacting with @Barachiel, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Update the printer firmware using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6960-all-in-one-printer-series/8289579/model/1...

Once done restart the printer.

Check if the copy is working fine?

If the copy is working fine, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-6960-all-in-one-printer-... to download and install the drivers.

Keep me posted if this helps you out!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Look, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and I'm trying to be patient here, but that's simply not helpful at all. Aside from the fact that it has nothing to do with this topic, it's also the exact same thing the previous representative suggested, and if I you've read the thread, you'll see that I already said as much. At this point we haven't even determined whether this behavior is expected, so we don't even know if it's a problem or simply a poorly designed feature. I would appreciate if you and your associate would just leave this thread alone and leave it to someone who can offer a real potential solution or workaround that they've found from their experience with the same issue, rather than repeating the same canned response over and over. I'm sorry if I seem ungrateful, but boiler plate responses that are not applicable are only a waste of time for both parties involved. Thanks for your understanding.
HP Recommended

@SuperSam64

Thanks for the reply

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.
Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended
Why? Please stop.
HP Recommended
This is pointless, I give up.
HP Recommended

I am having this same issue.  Looking at the thread, it looks like this was never solved.  How do I prevent the printer from doing maintenance every time I print.  It should be doing the maintenance when idle or after a print.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.