Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet CM1415fnw Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought my HP Laserjet CM1415fnw Color printer in 2013 (don't remember the exact date). The CM1415fnw printer is plugged into its own AC power outlet and has been connected to a NETGEAR Nighthawk router for the past 2 years. My network and computers have not changed in the past 3 years.

About a month ago, July of 2015, the printer started rebooter itself about every few minutes.

These are the things that I have tried:

1. I turned off the printer for several minutes via the power off switch located on the side of the printer. This failed to solve my reboot issue.

2. I turned off the printer for over night via the power off switch located on the side of the printer. This failed to solve my reboot issue.

3. I unplugged the printer from the AC power outlet for several minutes and over night. printer. This failed to solve my reboot issue.

4. I turned off the printer setting "WS-Discovery" with no success. It continued to reboot.

5. I turned off the printer and Unplugged the ethernet cable and phone line cable from the printer. I then turned it on. It

stayed on for hours without rebooting. I plugged the ethernet cable and it continued to stay on without rebooting for over an hour. I then plugged in the phone line cable and within a minute the printer starting rebooting again. I unplugged the phone line cable again and the printer stopped rebooting. My wife and I have been printing happily.

Problem solve! NO! This past week, on July 27 2015, the printer started rebooting again. I went through the same steps above except this time whenever plugging in the ethernet cable, within and few minutes the printer would start its rebooting. Sometime between reboots it would stay up long enough to print a job.

Other things that I have tried:

1. I connected the printer directly to my workstation computer via the USB port and plugged in the phone line cable. This work great for hours. I could print jobs. No rebooting. It is just not the solution the I need. I need a network printer.

2. I connected the printer directly to my laptop ethernet port with phone cable connected. This worked also. So while in this configuration I took the opportunity to upgrade the Firmware from date 20120216 to 20140616.

3. I reconnected the printer to my network router and the printer started rebooting again within a few minutes.

I did notice that in between reboots, with the phone line cable plugged in, anytime a phone call came in the printer immediately rebooted.

I have mulitple home devices that rely on network connectivity to this printer. SO, right now this printer is offline to

everyone. I need to get this problem resolved ASAP.  I have a temporary work around item #6. But, I need a real solution. Can someone please help.

My Configuration:

HP LaserJet CM1415fnw

Formatter Number: QD51YOP
Serial Number: CNH8C9KRHB
Service ID: 21334
FIrmware Datecode: 20140616
Telcom Version: 04-015-001
Controller NUmber: 4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I wish to thank you davidzuts and muj851 for your quick response and help in this issue.

I will give you the short story of my troubleshooting efforts and solution.

I was able to isolate the printer reboot to my wife's computer located in another part of the house. Anytime that I connected her computer the the network the printer would start rebooting within a minute. I then uninstalled all HP printer software. I then reconnected her computer to the network. Within a minute the printer went into reboot mode. After a few install and uninstall of the HP printer soffware and drivers I took notice that the printer device for my printer still appeared after uninstalling the software and drivers. I clicked on the printer device and manually removed it. After rebooting the computer within a few minutes there was a system message stating that the device driver was being install.

Reinstalling the Printer software and drivers create a new instance of the CM1415FNW Printer. Uninstalling removed all but the orignal printer device. Connected the network caused the printer to reboot. So, looked at the printer queue and found that there was a document in the queue waiting to be printed. The status of the printer showed that the document was ready for print but then the printer would reboot and the status would appear as ERROR Printing.

I cancelled the print job and the document in the queue was removed. I then removed the Printer Device. When I connected my wife's computer to the network the printer did not reboot. I have reinstatlled HP Printer software for the CM1415FNW printer and everything has been working fine for the past two days.

A conversation with my wife uncovered that the day all of the issues with the printer started she attempted to print a Barnes and Nobles discount coupon. Something with the printer formating codes or the B&N coupon was causing the printer to reboot.

The next time this happens I will know to check the print queue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Could be bad hardware or something with the network causing the printer to reboot.  Suggest you try the following.  Change the iP address of the printer to a unused address and have it connected to the network but disconnected to the phone. Leave it and see if it reboots.  If it does not change the ip address in the driver on one of the computers that prints to it and use it for the day and see if it reboots.  If it does not reboot, do the same to another computer.  It is possible one machine is sending bad code to the printer causing it to reboot.  It is also possible the formatter is having issues.  If when you connect to one of the computers it starts to reboot, remove the printer from that computer completely and then turn the computer off.  Turn the computer back on and reload the software and see if it now works.  Hope some of this helps.

HP Recommended

Hi

You mentioned the printer re-boots when Ethernet cable is plugged

Here are my Suggestion to diagnose the issue.
1. It could be Network issue or incorrect protocol configured on router.
2. Could be router issue. You may check router manufacture page if they have any New FW update for the router.
3. Could be Ethernet cable is defective.
4. Could be port on the router is defective.
5. If you have spare or different router to test, which will help us to diagnose this issue
6. Other option On printer control panel, click on Setup, Network Setup, Network Services, Locate IPv6 and turn it Off   Or Turn Off IPV6  on Router

Reboot your printer check the functionality

Hope this should help.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as "Accepted as Solution"

+++++Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post++++++

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue .
HP Recommended

I wish to thank you davidzuts and muj851 for your quick response and help in this issue.

I will give you the short story of my troubleshooting efforts and solution.

I was able to isolate the printer reboot to my wife's computer located in another part of the house. Anytime that I connected her computer the the network the printer would start rebooting within a minute. I then uninstalled all HP printer software. I then reconnected her computer to the network. Within a minute the printer went into reboot mode. After a few install and uninstall of the HP printer soffware and drivers I took notice that the printer device for my printer still appeared after uninstalling the software and drivers. I clicked on the printer device and manually removed it. After rebooting the computer within a few minutes there was a system message stating that the device driver was being install.

Reinstalling the Printer software and drivers create a new instance of the CM1415FNW Printer. Uninstalling removed all but the orignal printer device. Connected the network caused the printer to reboot. So, looked at the printer queue and found that there was a document in the queue waiting to be printed. The status of the printer showed that the document was ready for print but then the printer would reboot and the status would appear as ERROR Printing.

I cancelled the print job and the document in the queue was removed. I then removed the Printer Device. When I connected my wife's computer to the network the printer did not reboot. I have reinstatlled HP Printer software for the CM1415FNW printer and everything has been working fine for the past two days.

A conversation with my wife uncovered that the day all of the issues with the printer started she attempted to print a Barnes and Nobles discount coupon. Something with the printer formating codes or the B&N coupon was causing the printer to reboot.

The next time this happens I will know to check the print queue.

HP Recommended

So I think you solved my problem.  In retrospect we're pretty sure the constant reinitializing started immediately after my wife tried to print a coupon.  After several days of madness I ran across your post, cleared her cache after finding documents stacked up in it, and the printer is now fine. 

Kudos. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.