Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've unplugged everything and removed/replaced the ink cartridges with no success.  I'm running windows 7 and the printer is installed, i just cannot print and haven't been able to in a long time

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended
*I had this printer installed on my old computer and I *THINK* I was getting the same error on that computer as well but i'm not 100% sure as that's been a year ago.
HP Recommended
georgew84,

This article should get you back up and running. Give the steps a shot and let me know the results:
http://goo.gl/x8jrT

Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

Printer displays "E"as soon as I switch it on and I am not able to print.

HP Recommended

Hi mwalungwa,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your DeskJet F380 printer.

To better assist you can you please provide some further information?

1)            Have you tried the Blinking Lights document -JohnB- posted above?  I will repost it here for you.

2)            Have you run the print and scan doctor tool from HP?

3)            Is your printer plugged directly into a wall outlet? 

6)            What operating system are you using?

Blinking Lights

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00859575

Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146

Happytohelp01

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My HP deskjet f380 printer displays "E" and the ink light is blinking but ink in cartage is full

HP Recommended

Hi tmehta,

I understand that since you have recently changed your cartridges in your DeskJet F380, you are now receiving an error message stating the cartridges are empty. Was your F380 turned on when you installed the cartridges?  I ask because the printer must be powered on when installing cartridges, if you happened to install them while it was off this could be the cause of your error message. I would like you to go ahead and remove the cartridges and then reset your product: Unplug the printer from it's power source (please do not power off first), wait 60 seconds and plug it directly into the wall outlet and make sure the F380 is fully powered up before installing the cartridges.

Make sure you are using genuine HP cartridges- If you are still running into the error you may need to clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine. Please follow the steps listed below:

1. Turn on the HP product.
  2. Open the print cartridge access door.
  3. Remove both cartridges.
  4. Wipe the electrical contact points of the print cartridge with a cloth. Print cartridges ship from the factory with a thin coating of protective grease on them to prevent oxidation. This coating may be preventing good electrical contact.
  5. Unplug the power cord, wait five seconds, and then plug it back in.
  6. Reinstall the print cartridges. Perform a print cartridge alignment if prompted.
I look forward to hearing from you, please let me know the results.

Thanks,
HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. The E is showing and the ink light is flashing. I've changed the inks. There are no obstructions. There is nothing in the print queue. The hp doctor says to use the online help. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello fr1,

I understand you are getting the same error message on the front panel of your printer, after you had replaced the cartridges. Did you try my earlier recommendations? Please see post above yours.

Let me know if this was helpful, or if you require more assistance.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes, I tried the above suggestions before I posted, but to no avail! Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.