Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I believe I set up my envelopes correctly (custom envelope size centered), I changed the print option in Word to centered as per the picture on my printer itself but the envelopes are printing just slightly off centered (left to right).  What can I do?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Dee515, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your printer is printing envelopes are printing slightly off centered.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

What happens when you try to print on a normal paper?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Search Windows for Wordpad, then select WordPad in the results.
Click the menu icon, then click Page Setup.
In the Page Setup window, select your envelope type from the Size menu, select Landscape orientation, then click OK.
Type the address, then use the formatting tools on the Home tab to align and center the text.
Click the menu icon, move your mouse cursor over Print, then click Print preview to make sure the address is correctly centered and sized. If necessary, make additional changes to align the text.
Click Print.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printing Envelopes issues.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response but my envelopes were mail merged in MS Word. so that solution would not work for me.

HP Recommended

@Dee515, Thanks for your response and time. I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

In Word, choose File > New > Blank document.

On the Mailings tab, in the Create group, choose Envelopes.

In the Delivery address box, type a sample address to test how an envelope will look when it's printed.

In the Return address box, type your address.

Choose Options > Envelope Options and do the following:

In the Envelope size drop-down list, choose the size that matches your envelope or choose the Custom size.

NOTE: If you choose the Custom size, enter the envelope dimensions in the Width and Height boxes. Choose OK when done.

Under Delivery address and Return address, choose a font and the left and top offset position for each address.

NOTE: Based on the preview of the envelope layout, make any necessary adjustments to your choices.

On the Printing Options tab, confirm the correct Feed method is selected, load the envelope to match the illustration, and then choose OK.

Choose Print, and then choose Yes to save the return address as the default address.

Refer this article from Microsoft to know more information about mail merging with envelopes.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your lengthy reply.  I did exactly that with an HP representative on the phone the day I posted this question.  The delivery addresses are still slightly off centered (left to right).  With mail merging the process is slightly different but the rep had me try one exactly as you stated.  

My envelopes are a custom size and since it is a mail merge the delivery addresses vary in length.  It would be impossible to set margins that would work universally with all of the names.  The software (MS word) and the printer would have to support this size envelope and properly center the text.  I believe there is no custom size option in the printer options menu so the paper is defaulting to letter size.  Surprisingly, when I selected a size that is much closer to the size of my envelopes the results were even worse!

In the meantime, I printed them as is because they were needed but I'd love to know if there is a solution for the next time.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Dee515, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Try installing Deskjet 990c generic drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Click "Add Printer".
then "Add a local printer".
Select "Use an existing port:"  Click drop down arrow and select any local port that has something similar to "USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)". If none exist, select "Create a new port:" click drop down arrow and select "Local Port" click next, then enter "Virtual USB".
 Scroll down under the Manufacturer's list click Hewlett-Packard and HP then search for your particular model.
NOTE: click Windows Update to update the printer list or you may try to select any Deskjet 990 variant or Deskjet 9800 series printer as they include the generic driver that should work with quite a number of HP units for basic printing.
6.   Choose whether to use current driver installed.
7.   Change printers name if you want.
8.   Ignore any the Printer Sharing prompts.
9.   New printer should now be set as default printer, so print a test page.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.