Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-On
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Short version- It appears that the old printhead had a problem and dumped a lot of ink into the printhead assembly. After ordering a new printhead and following the standard procedures, I am now getting an "Ink System Failed" message and other error messages. I removed and cleaned the printhead assembly a second time but I am still getting error messages. 

Additional information: After getting the printhead assembly spotless and then inserting the new printhead, I noticed that the new printhead had gotten dirty already, and that the old printhead had a lot of ink globs. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to "deep clean" the printer, or maybe how to deep clean the assembly that the printhead snaps into.

I have also done a few things to try and reset the printer, which have not been successful.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Trezz

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer and you got the printhead replaced recently. Now there's a message stating "Ink system failure. " You have cleaned the printhead twice and the error continues to appear. I understand that you would like to perform a deep cleaning on the printer and the printhead. Ill surely assist you with this.

Was the printhead purchased from HP or somewhere else?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the issue persists then please perform the steps as described in detail from this link. The steps are also included to clean the printhead electrical contacts inside the printer. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi- Yes the replacement printhead was purchased from HP and I mailed the old one back to HP.

Before seeing your message, I decided to take the printer to our local PC repair store. I'll let you know if they can fix it, and how they get it working.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Trezz

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Feel free to contact us if you need any assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi- The repair guy tells me that the replacement print head I received from HP must have been defective because he was not able to get it to work either. Hopefully there is some sort of warranty on the replacment part and HP can ship me another one? 

HP Recommended

@Trezz

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the replacement print head should have default warranty.

You can contact HP Phone support so that they will replace it.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.