Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer formerly was on a network with IP's 192.168.1.x.  Now it's on a network with 10.0.0.x IP's.  However, when I try to set it up, while the setup facility does see the new network, I nevertheless I get a message saying that my new 10.0.0.x network is incompatible with the old 192.168.1.x network.  I have only one network in my facility.  There are no other wireless networks within range.  The 10.0.0.x network is the only network in my facility.  The SSID is new and unique.  Therefore, in the context, the message is clearly fallacious.

(Others in this forum have had the same problem, but, as far as I can determine, none got an answer that resolved the issue.)

Temporarily, I am using the printer via a USB connection, but I need to get it working wirelessly.

Thank you for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thatnks for the hint.  I fixed it (over wireless actually), by temporarily changing my computers IP to 192.168.1.2.  Then I was able to access the printer's internal web page.  It develops that I had changed the printer's  IP mode to manual and set it myself.  Once on the internal webpage, I was able to switch it to automatic, and that fixed it.  I returned my computer's IP to automatic and that fixed everthing.  

All's well that end's well, as they say.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to use the printer's touchscreen to enter the network configuration menu. Manually configure the printer's IP address to conform with the new network subnet' pool of addresses . Use 10.0.0.X where X is a number higher than that of you PC. 

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I should have named the printer.  It's a Officejet 6000 (E609n), which doesn't have a screen.  During the wireless setup process (which I just downloaded from HP), it finds the wireless network by SSID, but even when the network is identified, it sill insists upon 192.168.1.x.  Probably assuming correctly that the new 10.0.0.x network has a DHCP server that assings IP's, the setup program does not ask for an IP.

I should probably mention that I also have an HP6800 on the same network.  That printer also, as it turns out, came from a 192.168.1.x environment at the same time, but had no trouble identifying and connecting to the new 10.0.0.x network.

MacWilder

HP Recommended

Who is your ISP?  Please diagram each device on your network including cabling and their associated IP's of each device. 

HP Recommended

Hi MacWilder,

You can log into the printer's Embedded web server to change the network address manually.  Enter the printer's IP adress in a browser such a Google Chrome or Firefox. In the Embedded web server configuration pages choose the settings page so you can configure the printer IP address. The user guide for the printer explains how that can be done .

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I can't login to the built-in web server, because it thinks it's IP is 192.168.1.130, which can't be reached from a server that only see's IP's in the 10.0.0.x range. (I printed out the wireless test and network config pages).  It definitely does see however the wireless network without getting an IP from it.  It also has the old gateway of 192.168.1.1.   In correctly undrstand that the network is open and also correctly notes the routers HW address.

Perhaps the problem is that it states that the configuration source is "Manual".  But I can't change it to "Automatic".

In a response to a request to list all devices on the network, I attach a listing.  Most devices are characterized as connected by eithernet, which is true, but it's through powerline adaptors.  Naturally, the MAC of the printer, which ends in "c6" is not listed.

Network.png

HP Recommended

You should be able to use a laptop to do this. the idea here is to connect adhoc to the printer and not to your wireless internet router. This time just don't connect the laptop to your wireless router for internet. Connect it to the printer's wireless SSID. I have done this before with iPads and  different brands of printers. Once you have made the connection to the web server, open a browser and type in the printers IP address and then modify the IP address. It needs to be within your gateway's pool of IP addresses (10.0.0.x). That will put the printer in the correct subnet and you should then be able to use it.

Another way to attack this is to change the internal address that your router \gateway uses to 192.168.1.100. That is something you should be able to modify in the advanced settings.

What is the device you are using in the image?

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Thatnks for the hint.  I fixed it (over wireless actually), by temporarily changing my computers IP to 192.168.1.2.  Then I was able to access the printer's internal web page.  It develops that I had changed the printer's  IP mode to manual and set it myself.  Once on the internal webpage, I was able to switch it to automatic, and that fixed it.  I returned my computer's IP to automatic and that fixed everthing.  

All's well that end's well, as they say.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.