Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I turned the printer on this morning, it gave the message, "Cartridge Error." and referred me to the device documentation.to troubleshoot. The User Guide does not address the problem.

The cartridges are properly seated and should still have plenty of ink. They are HP cartridges. The printer worked just fine yesterday. I have tried turning the printer off and re-starting. I have tried unplugging and plugging it back in. I get the same message and flashing light.

I would appreciate suggestions as to what else I should try.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Try the document I linked below. Hopefully it helps.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00428054

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I have tried the suggestions in the document you referenced. Those steps did not solve the problem. If you have another idea, I'd be happy to see it and try it.

HP Recommended

We might be able to isolate which cartridge is causing the issue. Remove the tri-color from the printer and leave the black cartridge in. Close the top cover and check the LCD screen for any messages. Reinstall the tri-color and then do the same process for the black. List out the messages each time one of the cartridges is out.

HP Recommended

When the color cartridge is out, I get the same message:  "Cartridge Error refer to device documentation to troubleshoot."

When the black cartridge is out, I get: "Insert cartridge on right.

HP Recommended

It looks like we have a problem with the black cartridge. Check the warranty date on the cartridge. It should be located near the copper contacts on the back. If it is still in warranty you might be able to get technical support and might be able to have it replaced.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I had already decided to try replacing the black cartridge. Doing so got the printer unfrozen, and it printed a test page just fine. However, now when I try to print a document, I am told the printer is offline.

This sounds stupid, but I do not see a way to get the blinkum thing online!. Didn't it have to be online to print the test page?

By the way, the date on the old cartridge is 2011/02/27. Can you tell me how to go about getting it replaced?

Thanks again for your help.

--Ken

HP Recommended

To get them replaced you will need to call Tech Support (1.800.4746836). You will probably get forwarded to the Out of Warranty group and you will need to explain to them that you have a problem with your in-warranty cartridge and not your printer. When you get to Tech Support explain that you are getting a cartridge error whenever you insert the cartridge and that a replacement cartridge worked. The Tech Support agent is required to perform troubleshooting to verify the issue so just go through with it and hopefully they replace the cartridge.

For the connectivity issue I would suggest that you open a new post on the Printer Installation/Setup category so that issues will not get mixed up in posts.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Cartridge error

HP Recommended

Refer to device documentation to troubleshooting cartridge

Sir i had reed all earlier question and answer's relaited with this problem but my problem is stil alive kindly sug me solution of this problem. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.