Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I finally decided to start all over and uninstalled the HP printer stuff using Add/Remove Programs. Now, I can't even connect the printer! HP support said there is no known fix. WTH??? They did offer to sell me Windows 7 to upgrade. I now have a brand new $300 HP printer that won't work with my HP PC and HP support can't/won't do anything. I am throwing the **bleep** thing out and buying a different brand. Expensive lesson. I will NEVER buy anything HP again.
HP Recommended

tell us your setup b4 you toss it and what is happening.   We don't have much to work on.   There is also a utility to totally purge remnants of any HP printer software from your system. Try that then try to reinstall.

Mine is still working fine after the "workaround"  .. fingers crossed.  I have all the advertised features working after much effort.  At one point, I was also one step from drop kicking the printer into next week.

HP Recommended
Where is the purge utility?
HP Recommended

I hope I'm not recalling it incorrectly, since I tried so many things.   Maybe it was something the helpdesk gave me, but I recall the utility had the capability to strip it out of the registry.

Unfortunately, I tried a search and couldn't  find a specific file.

Did you try to install off a downloaded set of drivers?

Are you wired?

what are your symptoms and what is your setup?  It is possible you have a different bug.  The only way we have the workaround in this thread is that I was very thorough with what my settings and symptoms were.  A tech contacted me via PM and said they duplicated my experiences based on my settings.  So, please post details ... you never know.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem of buggy stuff after using the Windows XP "Add & Remove Programs" from the Control Panel.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Reinstall HP.

2. Use HP Uninstall from the Programs menu, rather than friom Control Panel.

3. Reinstall HP again. This time selecting "Notify only when I print."

4. There was one other sub-program that didn't install, so I had to add that manually. (Can't remember which, but I think HP diagnostics.)

Everything working fine.

HP Recommended

Sorry.

The program I had to add manually was "HP Update."

To do this, I clicked om Update somewhere, and was told it wasn't installed, but did I wantr to install it?

I said yes.

HP Recommended

Also, you can probably skip #1 above if you already have "Uninstall HP" in your Start->Programs->HP OfficeJet Pro, since you already tried to reinstall.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I've decided to punt the printer out the window and never ever buy an HP anything or buy from Staples again.  Good luck all.

HP Recommended

Listen guys, I am not yet willing to toss this expensive machine I just bought. I want to reiterate my problem, which is that I configured my set up originally to the settings being suggested as the fix (e.g., alert to ink level only when I print), and it STILL has the same problems people are grousing about.

Nan

HP Recommended

It is also worth noting that in my case I was having a similar issue, but it wasn't caused by the printer.  I had already selected the option to notify me of low ink only when printing at the time of original installation.  My router was using the latest firmware from netgear, but moving to the open source dd-wrt firmware corrected the problem without any changes to the printer or client computers.

If you are having this problem and  you have already tried everything else, if you have a router in the picture and can try swapping the router for a different model, that may be worth a try.  I am very happy with my OfficeJet now that it prints without issue. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.