Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
The information in this conversation string has been very helpful. As a 20+ year HP user, agree they could do better to take care of users, who in turn take care of them. I am using 3 computers with XP SP3, and have followed the recommendations for going into the HP Software for the HP 8600, checking print cartridge settings, then changing the notification to happen only when printing, then rebooting the computer. The results were; - 100% of the time when changing the setting and rebooting, then going back to check the setting for the notification, it was set back to the original top setting of notifying as soon as print cartridge settings were low - The loss of communication with scanning options usually returned in a day - Just went through an upgrade of software on printer, through online connection, now have lost ability for HP 8600 software to read estimated ink levels, it reads most of information, then gives an error message indicating the parameter is incorrect, this is after reading a little over 93% of information for printer - with the above problem, can not access ink level information anymore, same on all three XP machines, seems to be associated with upgrade to software on printer - have tried numerous combinations of turning rebooting computers and printer. - using a Cisco Linksys E3000 router - can connect directly to printer no problem with browser interface, usually this is not a problem Ideas, need to get this stable or regular staff can not use 8600
HP Recommended

Another detail is that we are using Norton 360 V5.2 on the computers, there seems to be a potential issue with Norton that could be additive to the problems being encountered

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135182

Thanks for any input or ideas

HP Recommended

I too have had the issue after installing the new firmware update. It happens on all my computers, with and without the ones with Norton installed. I wish there was a way to go back to the last version as it was working better than this new version. At least I can still scan and print...

I too am a long time HP printer customer with over 25 years experience. I can say that HP's software has ALWAYS been poor in relation to the hardware. The support has also been very poor. I am not surprised that they are ignoring us. It's too bad this problem is not taken seriously.

HP Recommended

I'm using an iMac.  The HP Injet 8600 drops its connectivity to the wireless network.  The only way I can get it to reconnect is to set up the network on the printer all over again.  It takes time and is extremely annoying.  I can't quite fathom HP's excuse for this, but I've seen enough postings to know that many people are experiencing this problem with the 8600.  I had the 8500 but hated the printer and so I replaced it with the 8600, which I wouild like better if it would stay connected to the network. 

I saw a comand line script fix for the connectivity issue on PC computers, but what's the fix for the my iMac?

HP Recommended

This is getting ridiculous. The printer doesn't work with any system properly. I say we all ask for a refund/return of the printer. It's useless as is. Is anyone from HP reading all this? I want my money back.

HP Recommended

I have read all of the posts and have the same problem.  I am using Windows 7 Ultimate with the Officejet 8600 Premium.  No mater what I tried, I could not stay connected to my wireless network.  After two days of trying everything, I simply hooked the printer directly to my router via a Ethernet cable.  No more problems.  I wanted to be able to move around with my laptop.  The printer stays in one place; hoked up the the Ethernet cable.  Thanks to those of you who posted a couple of days ago revealing that after you downloaded their fix, it still didn't work as advertised, I decided not to run their update.  I am still working fine with respect to the printer.

Another issue; everytime that I try to print a document via ePrint using the HP home&biz App for my iPad, it won't format the document to print and afterward it shuts down the iPads internet connection and I have to do a hard reset to get going again.  Each and every time. Printing photographs through ePrint is no problem.  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I check ink levels on the HP 8600. Always receive the reply, "The parameter is incorrect."

HP Recommended

Now I'm not so sure it's actual loss of wireless connectivity.  Once I've got a print job queued that doesn't print, if I click on Printer Utility  it will eventually re-connect and wake the printer up and then print the job.  But it's a long, drawn-out process to make it  work, and doing it with each print job just ain't acceptable.   I think next time I buy an inkjet printer I'll get a Canon or Epson or Brother or some such.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys -

I've been following the thread since my last post 10 days ago.  Just wanted to let everyone know that the fix I tried on the 27th (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03149924)  is still working.

I absolutely agree with everyone - that with HP's ability to A) communicate directly with our printers, B) to monitor & measure my useage, and C) to alert us & download patches, that they should & could have done a better job at fixing this. 

My 8600 is a replacement for an 8500 that was also annoyingly defective. I enjoyed an extremely underwhelming experience with their customer service (based in the Phillipines?), and ultimately gave up. Thankfully, Office Depot cheerfully exchanged it for me as soon as I asked them.

HP makes some pretty cool, and potentially useful stuff.  When the thing works correctly, it is really delighful. In those instances, I'd rate the product & feature set a 9 or 10. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, it's annoying support experiences like this that negate any thought that they can actually add value to my, or my firm's day. I rate their support a mediocre  4 or 5.  Smiley Mad  (Office Depot gets a 10+!)

Good luck everyone!

BigSteve

HP Recommended

The HP circumvention to change ink alerts works for me too. It seems that there may be other issues associated with wireless connections (I'm ethernet attached).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.