Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Power button light is on, but does nothing.
Nothing else really responds, when I unplug it the light goes off, when I plug it back in it comes back on.

I've tried cycling it in all those different support suggestions. No luck.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@JonathanDaniels

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the Office jet Pro 8600 won't start though the power button light is on,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

Which operating system are you using the printer with?

In the meantime, please try the below steps:

Depending on the printer model, the power supply might include a power module inside the printer (internal), a power module that is separate from the printer (external), or a rechargeable battery if you have a mobile printer. For steps to resolve the issue, Click here to choose your printer power supply type and find yourself a solution.

Also to help you out, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped many others: Click here

Keep me posted,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
It is an OJ8600 CM749A model N911a

It has an internal power module, & I have tried all the power cycling steps in the video and on that page.
HP Recommended

@JonathanDaniels

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If you've already performed the steps mentioned below:

• Unplug the power cord from the printer and wall
  • Take out the toner/cartridges
  • Wait 30 sec
  • Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall (Make sure the printer is plugged into the wall and not a surge protector)
  • Insert the toner/cartridges back into the printer

And yet, if the issue persists, please Contact HP to set up a hardware service to have your printer either repaired or replaced (free of charge if covered by HP Warranty):

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I called them & they just tried to sell me a new printer. The prices are less expensive at several other stores so I wouldn't buy through them.

I've seen many people have had this issue on the forums.. many their printer just starts working later & nobody seems to know why.

Should I reset the cmos battery or the internal power supply on it & give it another try?

I mean the solution to unplug it and take out the cartridges seems pretty basic.

HP Recommended

Hi @JonathanDaniels,

Thank you for the replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If you have already performed the steps suggested by Riddle_Decipher, I would suggest this could be a printer hardware itself. 

Printers don't have CMOS battery, they only have lithium battery for mobile printers, 

You could definitely try reset the internal power supply and check if that helps.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
How can I reset the internal power supply?
HP Recommended

Hi @JonathanDaniels,

Thank you for replying,

I mean by performing a Hard reset or Power drain on the printer, If nothing happens, I would suggest this could be a printer hardware. Please follow the steps suggested in the previous post for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Yes, I've done the steps & im asking about the internal power supply and the cmos that is keeping it on when I unplug it.

There is no way to check power indicator lights etc on the internal power module like it says in the video.

If I just unplug the internal module skll it reset?
HP Recommended
Will*
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.