Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
p2015dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I try to print something, it makes a loud humming clicking sound as I can see the rollers spinning.  That goes on for about 5 seconds, it stops, and gives me a yellow flashing next to the "yield sign with an exclamation mark".  According to the manual, that error means "the print cartridge door is open."  I assure you it is not. 

I feel like there is a faulty peice of equipment and I am trying to figure out what and if it is replacable?  Or, if the whole printer is just trash.

I thought it could be a problem with the rollers since it's not pulling the paper. But, the error message doesn't fit.

Edit:  It will work when only using the feeder.  But, NOT the tray. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Nothing to do with the door.  Your pickup roller is probably worn and not picking up the paper.  To test, put the paper on the fold down manual tray in front and open the paper drawer so it can only print from the manual tray.  Odds are it will work.  You can order a replacement roller on line for tray 2 which is the designation of that tray and installation is simple. In the meantime you can sometimes clean the roller with warm soapy water and dry which will get it to work for a few prints.

HP Recommended

I can buy a roller maintenance kit. But, I found a peice that is loose.  I'm going to guess that it shouldn't be.

Using this diagram as a reference:

http://www.laserpros.com/hp_p2015_internal_components_1.asp

I removed the pickup roller (#19/20) and there is a peice tot he right of it. I believe it is part #8 (RC1-3472). However, the picutre says it should have a "flag" on each end and I only see one on it.  But, it is in the spot where the diagram says it is.  Anyways, it's just loose.  I watched it while the printer was trying to use the roller, and, to me, it seemed like it was suppose to have a purpose other than just being there taking up space.

HP Recommended

Hello @BISD_BrianC

#8 is paper sensor I took a picture from the unit on the lab  may this will help you the sensor is that little plastic piece that is on the right Capture.1PNG.PNG

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended

The person above is correct.  It is the paper out sensor flag.  It just raises when the tray is inserted with paper and when the tray is empty it is at it's lowest point and tells the printer it is out of paper.  The actual sensor sits above where you can not see it and the other end of that "loose" plastic piece intersects the photo sensor.  It is supposed to be loose like that. Did you try the manual feed as I suggested.  If you did and it worked, then you need to replace the roller shown in the post above.

HP Recommended

Yes, the manual feed works.  But, if the roller is just old and no longer grasps the paper, why would it start making a loud humming/clicking sound?

I am going to order a roller kit and start there, though.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.