Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M476dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I try to print from picasa or paint i get the following error:

PCL XL Error

Subsystem: KERNEL

Error: IllegalTag

File name: kernel.c

Line number: 1933

Other documents do print just right.

Wenn I print from a laptop with windows 8 I do not get the error with picasa or paint.

But I also would like to print from my computer with windows 7.

Can you help me?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Could be a driver fault, or intermittent corruption by hardware, or (as http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/M175Nw-PCL-XL-errors/m-p/4940252 explains) the result of a recent update to AVG anti-virus.

HP Recommended

I checked that, I do not have AVG installed on my computer

HP Recommended

Although AVG appeared to be the culprit in the referenced topic, that thread also contains advice on trying to ascertain whether the error might be the result of a driver fault, or some sort of intermittent corruption.

HP Recommended

Hi Again,

I deleted the software from the printer and installed the cd again. Still no progress.

HP Recommended

So (as per that referenced thread) is the error repeatable (i.e. exactly the same when reprinting the same document, using the same driver, to the same device), or not?

This should provide an indication of whether the problem is due to a logic fault (e.g. driver error, etc.), or to a random corruption (e.g. bad cable, etc.).

HP Recommended

The subsystem has the same parameter: KERNEL

The Error differs:

* Internal Error 0x88

* illegaloperatorsequence

* Illegal tag

File name is the same: kernel.c

Line number differs:

HP Recommended

If these different errors each result from reprinting the same source document, then the fault is a random one, caused by some intermittent corruption of the generated print job.

What causes such corruption is not easy to find out: it is likely to be due to some sort of electrical fault (e.g. bad cable, connector, port, switch, etc., or even the printer itself), but finding out which, other than via a long process of elimination by replacing indivudual components, one at a time, is not easy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.