Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer takes the "02" size HP cartridges.  I've read a lot about some of the ink cartridge products HP sells being only partially filled (i.e. the photopaper packs) and it not being readily apparent at the time of purchase.  Some of the suppliers are selling cartridges w/part numbers ending in "W" while others end in "WN" (for example, a light magenta cartridge part # C8775WN vs. a light magenta cartridge part # C8775W).  Is there a difference between these two part number designations in terms of ink capacity or any other way that is pertinent?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I have similar questions:  You can find HP 02 ink cartridges being sold under different part numbers.  For instance: C8721WN, C8771WN, C8772WN and C8773WN for Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow, respectively, vs. CB279W, CB280W, CB281W and CB282W for the same.  What is the difference between these part numbers?

I also read somewhere that, when first setting up your printer, one should take care in which cartidges get installed and only use cartridges that ship with printers, as these cartridges have some distinct characteristic(s) that new printers require.  I don't know if this is truth or hype.  If true, does anyone know what the differences there are? Could this explain the difference in the part numbers?

Is there somewhere I could go which would explain it all?

Thanks.

HP Recommended
This should help answer some of your questions.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

CaptainK wrote:

I also read somewhere that, when first setting up your printer, one should take care in which cartridges get installed and only use cartridges that ship with printers, as these cartridges have some distinct characteristic(s) that new printers require.  I don't know if this is truth or hype.  If true, does anyone know what the differences there are? Could this explain the difference in the part numbers?

I am not an expert in the printers that use the 02 cartridges, but I do know a few things that apply:

1. The printheads are shipped with light concentrations of ink to prevent clogging in the printheads during shipment and storage on store shelves.  The first set of cartridges has more concentrated ink, and as part of the setup the inks are mixed to result in correct levels.  These initial cartridges have their own part numbers and electrical ID.  There is a web page here that describes this.
  2. There are special photo packs bundled with ink cartridges and paper.  These cartridges will have ink fill levels to match the number of sheets of paper in the pack.  These cartridges will have different part numbers than the standard cartridges.  An example photo pack for the 02 cartridges is shown here.
Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks DexterM and Bob.  That article explaining why "host" cartridges are required initially makes a lot of sense.

And, thanks Bob, for the other link.  Your reply, along with a little research I did, confirmed dsolyom's concern:  ink cartridges sold in the photo packs are only partially full.  The photo pack is intended to supply enough paper and ink for 150 photos, and it doesn't take full cartridges to print 150 photos.  So, by supplying only partially full cartridges with 150 sheets of paper, one can get everthing they need at a much lower cost.

However, certain individuals on a popular auction site apparently open photo packs and sell the paper and cartridges separately.  It might not be readily apparent whether cartridges being offered are full or not.  But, no part numbers are given for the cartridges in that photo pack product page.  So, should I assume that any part numbers other than the C87XX numbers (like the CB2XX) are from the photo pack?

And, to reiterate another of dsolyom's questions: is there any significance between the "W" and "WN" suffixes?

Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

CaptainK wrote:

However, certain individuals on a popular auction site apparently open photo packs and sell the paper and cartridges separately.  It might not be readily apparent whether cartridges being offered are full or not.  But, no part numbers are given for the cartridges in that photo pack product page.  So, should I assume that any part numbers other than the C87XX numbers (like the CB2XX) are from the photo pack?

And, to reiterate another of dsolyom's questions: is there any significance between the "W" and "WN" suffixes?

It used to be that the N suffix would represent North America.  Other regions included E for Europe, S for South America, etc.  In those days the actual cartridges were the same, the designations had more to do with what language(s) and/or regulatory labeling the packaging was printed with.  In more recent times the part numbers have changed for different regions although it could still be that the 02 cartrdige is sold in different language options.  There are four regions for this cartridge series, in different parts of the world the cartrdige could be 02, 363, 177 or 801 with the world mapped into zones as shown here. Cartridges from one zone are not compatible with printers in a different zone.

As for the different ink fills, there are different versions of photo saver kits which have different fills.  You can check the  page yields for the standard and various photo pack cartridges at HP's page yield site here.

My experience with e*ay indicates it is best to ask when there is any doubt :-).

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Don't be ridiculous. The number of pages printed is an entirely subjective (inaccurate and subjective: more or less, larger or smaller) gauge of a printer cartridge's capacity. After all, wasn't that the intention? Otherwise, HP could have simply provided the capacity of the cartridge in milliliters or ounces or such, but that would have revealed a rat's maze for what it is: obfuscation, evasion, deception. The simple fact is that the Photo Value Pack is sucker punch to HP customers. Very, very unworthy. Justify that, why don't you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.