Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I've tried the clean function like a hundred times. No go.
HP Recommended
One thing I just thought of is the ink in there is the remanufactured ink instead of genuine hp ink. Is anyone else having this issue using an off brand ink? I don't see why that would matter because it has always printed fine with this ink before now..
HP Recommended

I've been using genuine HP ink. Like you, I've run the head-cleaning function scores of times, using lots of ink. The problem is just getting worse.

Now I've tried cleaning the head with a sringe and window-cleaner. No better.

I've tried using my old Photosmart 5510, but that makes a noise like a machine-gun.

As so many people have this problem, why can't HP themselves give us the answer?

HP Recommended

Hi everyone!

@MikeElvis
@BlaneD
@Blandine
@DianaDCarnival

As you all appear to have a Photosmart 5520 this should make my reply a bit easier Smiley Happy

I will recommend that if any of you have not tried the steps within this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document then please do.

If the problem persists and the black ink is still not printing, please call in to our technical support team and request a replacement printer. Regardless of the warranty (at this time) they should be able to get the replacement set up.

If you have any issues with getting a replacement please respond to me here and I will do my best to help out!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Well I gave up last night and went and purchased a Canon printer instead..

I just saw your post, so I am calling tech support. I prefer this printer.. so if I can get it replaced I'll use it at home and take my Canon to work or something. 

It's just been very frustrating and the time it takes to go through all of these troubleshooting steps is just almost not even worth saving money. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

ANYWAYS -  just got off the line with tech support. He said my printer is out of warranty & there is no recall on this printer and that his hands are tied. I'm not sure where you want me to go from there, @MissTeriLynn, like I said I'm just frustrated at this point now because the printer was working fine just a few days ago and it's obvious it's not only my printer as everyone else in this forum have had issues and when half of them get resolved they didn't do anything special it just miraculously repairs itself.. 

@MissTeriLynn wrote:

Hi everyone!

@MikeElvis
@BlaneD
@Blandine
@DianaDCarnival

As you all appear to have a Photosmart 5520 this should make my reply a bit easier Smiley Happy

I will recommend that if any of you have not tried the steps within this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document then please do.

If the problem persists and the black ink is still not printing, please call in to our technical support team and request a replacement printer. Regardless of the warranty (at this time) they should be able to get the replacement set up.

If you have any issues with getting a replacement please respond to me here and I will do my best to help out!

Case #3010522647

HP Recommended

I don't know what happened to the last post I just posted...

I just called tech support, contrary to what you said, they said I'm out of warranty it's out of their hands and there is no recall on the printer.

I am VERY frustrated.. I KNOW this is a printer issue as everyone else is having it.

AND most the people that have had it fix claim it as a "random" fix or it "fixed itself" after doing the same steps they were already doing!

What's even more frustrating is that it was just working fine a few days ago and never had any issues like this.

HP Recommended

I contacted tech support and was able to receive a replacement printer after they forwarded me to the hardware supervisor.  Thank you, TeriLyn & HP!

HP Recommended

I have just tried once more - I have blasted the black print-head with a sringe full of REALLY HOT water  -  and now IT WORKS !!!

Unfortunately I have already ordered a new Photosmart 5520 on e-bay as we can't be without a printer - so soon we'll have two.

By the way, Epson isn 't the answer as someone suggested on the Forum. Our Epson Stylus has the same problem plus it keeps refusing to recognize its cartridges and is generally user-unfriendly.

HP Recommended

How did you blast it with hot water exactly?

I don't want to get anything wet that isn't supposed to and screw up the printer even more. 

HP Recommended

I think I was too optimistic.  After the hot water treatment the printer worked perfectly for about an hour, but now it has started again - leaving white streaks across the black text -  BUT it is still printing a perfect "Quality Report" .

I don't understand this at all.

Anyway, this is what I did :

Emptied paper tray, and put a wad of kitchen paper there.

Removed black ink cartridge, revealing a small circular mesh filter on top of the print-head.

Filled a surgical syringe (without needle) with really hot water, and squirted it on the filter.

Mopped up any remaining water with kitchen paper

Replaced ink cartridge and paper stack

Ran "Clean print-head"

Then started printing - threw away the first 3 pages which were a bit wet.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.