Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. It helped somewhat, but on the second try I did'nt remove the printhead - I just removed the black ink cartridge and  cleaned the screen under it with a moistend paper towel a few times - and now it is printing in black again. 

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart 5520 - but when trying to follow Blunticus's instructions, there is no sticker with the model number on the cover.  The only sticker available to remove had no screws under it.

HP Recommended

but if I choose to print black and white only, it actually works.

Only when I print with colors, the black does not print.

so the black catridge is not the problem.

HP Recommended
printing in black and white can still use the color ink cartridges. This is true if you are out of black ink or if the black ink cartridge is faulty. One way to test this is to print something out in black and white, then run a little water over it and see if there are multiple colors.

Your issue still presents a dilemma, in that it should still print black (using all colors to achieve black) when you print in color.

Check to see if the black ink is not really a mix of colors when you print in black and white.
HP Recommended
Did you open the lid first? There should be one on the right side.
HP Recommended
@ mrsmoe53. Did you open the lid first? There should be one on the right side.
HP Recommended

Blunticus, I went through the whole process, everything seemed to be back in place and now I have no power!

Any ideas??

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with my Photsmart 5520. It won't print black at all.   Replaced the print cartridge twice with genuine HP 564 and HP 564XL, checked the cartridge vents, and have run the clean printer head clean utilities 10x, including turning off, waiting several hours, and going through the process again.    It still won't print black, and the print quality diagnostic "black" box is completely blank, or has a few faint gray lines.

Printer warranty expired 1/2014.  Was a HP customer for life, but now am very frustrated.  This is the second HP printer in a row that has failed soon after the warranty expired, and with the exact same problem.  My printer's info is below.  I am in Beaverton, Oregon, USA

The following information was returned for your product

Serial number CN2BA1825R Product number CX042A Warranty status Warranty has expired Warranty end date 2014-01-17 (YYYY-MM-DD)
HP Recommended

This solution works!  We took the whole printer apart per the instructions and ta-dah-----Black ink now is working!  Wow, we were ready to go out and buy a new printer.  We just had to by the right type screwdriver.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

Blunticus, HP will hate you because you have saved all of us money.  I called HP before using your solution.  They said to replace it.  My printer is like new!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.