Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes I wished I had checked out this forum before I bought the C309a last year, its been nothing but trouble-an IT geek friend of mine warned me but I didn't listen. You are so right abut the pathetic manual...... 'design a label'........how for God's sake????? I have got as far as puting in the DVD and pushing it to the green line...... but no software comes up on my computer to tell me what to do next. I also stumbled upon the Create but I can't figure out how to use it.. any ideas? HP, the most unuser friendly company!!!

HP Recommended
Here's my story - I found this problem immediately last summer when I bought my c309a (printing off-center on a disk using third-party labeling software). I figured it might take a while for sofware patches to be released to allow third-party vendors to catch up with the c309a. I recently purchased a new HP Pavilion Elite computer. One would figure that the bundled software( Cyberlink LabelPrint) would work, right? Wrong. The label printed off center big time. Even on a brand-spanking-new HP computer, they don't allow their software partners to have the HP printer templates. (Cyberlink LabelPrint DOES have the Epson templates, however). I have taken this issue up the entire chain of command of HP'ssupport networks for the printer and the computer. (The computer support people refuse to talk to me, they push me off on the printer support people). CyberLink gave me a boilerplate answer too. After about a week, and sending HP support several angry emails, I got a call from a "Case Manager" at HP. He said in so many words that HP cannot give template patches to third party software vendors. As long as the labeling portion of the driver software works, HP is absolved of any responsibility for this. I went back to the store where I bought the printer last year, and they still sell new c309a printers. The packaging box shows examples of what the printer can do. One of those examples is a cd with a label on it - and the label was made with third party software - NOT the driver program label. As they are bragging that the printer prints DIRECTLY onto the cd, I would assume the disk shown on the box would NOT be an adhesive label. Here's the real issue for me - my car will only play cd's that are printed on directly. An adhesive label will increase the overall thickness of the cd so much that the cd will get stuck in the car's cd player. The quality results on a cd labeled with HP's driver set is very bad for a music cd, to the point of unusability. When every disk has the same label, with almost unreadable text (skinny white words over orange background), I'm likely to drive off the road. I chose this printer over all others because the PROMISED ability to print nice full-color music cd labels directly onto the cd was the feature I wanted. My new computer has a LightScribe drive in it, but they print in monochrome only, and also are limited in the level of creativity you can use in making a label. It also renders my 100-pack of ink-jet-printabel disks obsolete. I guess that I have to break out the Sharpie marker - it works better than the HP printer for putting graphics directly on a disk.
HP Recommended

Hey Crazy_Brave, just wanted to post my 2-cents.  I have the same printer and am able to print directly onto printable cd's & dvd's using the HP software that came with the printer.  I'm not happy about the quality but it does print directly onto the disk and that is the main reason I purchased the printer.  I have not tried a third party software to print onto the disk but am pretty happy with what I can do with the hp software.  Not sure if that helps but wanted to pass along my experience... Marc

HP Recommended

I just purchased Nero 9 Reloaded, and thankfully, in the labeling program called Nero Cover Designer, in the pulldown selection list for templates, HP CD and DVD tray is one of the selections.

It will attempt to print a front cover, liner, etc - so make sure you uncheck everything except the disk in the File/Print.../Print Elements tab. Its kind of hard to find.

My cd's are printing excellent now. It's a learning curve to make a decent disk with Cover Designer, but its much more flexible than the HP printer driver software.

Good luck!

PS - I had read in this forum that Nero would not work. Does anybody know if this template was a new feature in Nero 9 Reloaded?

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'll see if I can get hold of a copy to try.

HP Recommended

Microsoft Publisher does work. Just set page size to 13x13cm

Choose template of Labels, then (say) Classical (Avery 8931).  Page size comes up as default of 12.383cm (5.12inch is 13mm) leave as is.

Choose Print Setup.  Paper as Size: CD/DVD, 120mm.  Source: CD/DVD Tray. At top click Properties tab for Printer C309a, and printer properties page opens.  Choose "Print on CD/DVD"

OK, OK, then File:Print

Thanks SeanSimon for this tip

Of course you have to have Publisher, but it works well.

HP Recommended

I tried every way I could to get the built in software printing with Windows 7.  No way no how!

I'd be curious to know what version of Windows you are running that it works on?

I did get printing very easily with the mightymouse Discus program, but very basic Demo program.

Sure Thing Labeller took more futzing with printer prefs, but once set right, printed beautifully.

Dang HP putting in a CD printer without their software knowing it is there!

HP Recommended

SeanSimon, Thank you!  You saved me much greif and purchasing another CD printing software package.  I have a rather old Publisher version but after several tries I have made a template that works well.  The one thing I don't understand is it seems the Photosmart C309a doesn't know to only print on the CD so it spreads ink onto the CD holder which I have to wipe constantly.

I agree 100% that HP software SUCKS!

HP Recommended

I got this printer at Sam's as well.  Price and features were the main attractions.  I connected it wirelessly and had problems with it losing connectivity every day or two.  Updated wireless router software and that solved part of it, but still loses connectivity every couple of days.  Just got off "chat" with HP support and they had me perform the wierdest fix I've ever done...1) unplug power from back of printer 2) unplug power cord from wall 3) press and hold power button for 30 seconds 4) reconnect in reverse order ???????????? we'll see if this works in a couple of days...

Back to topic at hand...i think the CD/DVD printing software lacks as well.  My biggest grip is that it doesn't recognize most of my pictures when i try to add one.  It will recognize older picture i have on my computer, but nothing from the past couple of years.  All are .jpg format.  Anyone have a similar issue and possible fix?  I will try some fo the software suggestions listed and post if anything seems to work well.  I use Windows 7 Home Premium.

HP Recommended

I did as the instructions stated and did not load the disc that came with my C309a. It said I did not need it if I was using a Mac.
It later dawned on me that the info I was looking for was on that disc.

Load the disc but  when you are asked if you want a full or  custom install, click on  "Photosmart Mac Software Suite".  Uncheck the other boxes.

I know have Photosmart Create and I can make simple labels direct to my CDs.

This should have been explained on the sheet of paper that told me not to install from the disc. I can at least print simple data to identify the disc and it is a lot better than my handwritten notes. I will probably get "MagicMouse" to design my labels at a later date.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.