Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

AFter downloading and running the software from the link, I still get the "USB cable not connected" message when I press the scan button. . Maybe I left out a step in the downoading/installing process. .Could you walk me through what I should do, step by step? Thanks

cw

HP Recommended

Same problem here on a Mac Book running OS 7.5.  No problem printing but scanner reads USB not connected.  HP site says no new drivers necessary and that Apple software takes care of it.  NOT.

Used to run this printer/scanner on a PC but its worthless on this Mac unless one of you fine people can steer me in the right direction.  

PS  I have no HP Uninstaller on this computer.

HELP

HP Recommended
my photosmart C4280 is not connected to my computer what shall I do
HP Recommended

@lobsterofjustic wrote:

Clearly the USB is connected if I can print, but the printer says "USB not connected" when I try to scan.  I am using a macbook with OS X 10.5.8

I have used this scanner with this computer successfully in the past.

where is the usb port on the printer?

HP Recommended

I found the solution for OS 10.8.3

1. open System Preferences

2. click Print & Scan

3. choose the HP Photosmart C4280 printer

4. Click "Scan" in the right pane at the top

5. Click "Open Scanner"  (this will open a control panel for using the scanner on the printer device

6. Choose the destination for the scanned in the drop down

7. Click "Scan" in the scanner control panel

The printer should fire up and run the scanner.

HP Recommended

I don't have Print &Scan in System Preferences, only Print & Fax.

Don't see any Scan option at all.

What should I do?

HP Recommended

OK, on another computer, running 10.6.8, I have Print& Scan, but there's no "right pane" after I choose the C4280.

What shall I do?

HP Recommended

Hi Jonathan,

My name is Jonathan, too. I just wanted to let you know, I registered on this site specifically so I could thank you and give you kudos for this advice. Worked like a charm! 😄

HP Recommended

Hi, I followed all your instructions and the scanner DID work but now.....the scanned documents are nowhere to be found on my **bleep** computer!! (That is to say they are not in the location I TRIED to save them in.) 

Please help. I'm going crazy here 😞

HP Recommended

my scanner  keeps  saying usb  port not  connected..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.