Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Do you plug into the usb for the update like the original installation?
HP Recommended
Yup.
HP Recommended

Well thanks for the response.

I did that but what happened was it added a usb printer. I am trying to make this work as a wireless and it didn't help. So...

One more stupid question...should I use the original instal disk...is this the way you do it... to somehow custom instal just the resources you need from what you download (in this case the patch) from the hp site and save on the desktop? I can't recall if the installer will let you do that.

HP Recommended

This is interesting but from where do you "type in" the new setting?

My printer has the same problem. 

HP Recommended
You have to plug it in to USB to perform the firmware update.  After that, run the HP setup where it lets you put in the wireless setup for the printer.  After that is set up, disconnect from USB and it should be set up for wireless if you followed all the instructions.  Then you can delete the USB printer from your system.
HP Recommended

Ok, well thanks for the help...

My plan is to type in a static ip address for the printer...from the network configuration printout should I type in the ip, subnet mask and default gateway?

HP Recommended

Actually it is a very interesting problem.

The printer shows a green status in printer utilities and prints fine. Then it shows red and things freeze up.  I note numerous people share the same problem.

Is there a real life work around for this. I installed the update and set the ip address. It worked for a bit and then the same boring story.

I have this feeling I shelled out for a lemon. Please guys, say it ain't so   😐 

HP Recommended

For my home network (only PCs, but that shouldn't make any difference), I first allowed the system to automatically assign an IP address, and once things were working, used same IP address as the manual one.  Of course, I had to tell the router not to assign that address automatically anymore.

When switching to static IP addressing, I set the following:

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP address is 192.168.1.1, the local IP address of my wireless-router.  

I also set the DNS to 192.168.1.1, but I don't think it is critical.

BTW: My printer has been running perfectly for over a month.

HP Recommended

wii555,

I have a couple of questons:

1. Are you having trouble with scanning as well? Or is it just a printing issue?
  2. How is your Mac connected to your network (wired Ethernet or wireless)?
  3. What kind of wireless-router are you using?
  4. How many other network devices do you have on your wireless-router?
  5. When the printer goes offline, are the other networked devices still working? I'm checking to see if there's a wireless interference problem or not.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

I haven't got to scanning yet, I will be happy enough to get the printer working.

I connect my mac with airport, airport to DSL.

No other devices.

The printer can go offline in the middle of a print job. It can come back on after 15 minutes. It just came on  as I type this to print a document I clicked to print 15-20 minutes ago. 

I just bought time machine and perhaps it will work with that? I am using an older Airport Extreme.

Ideas? I sure would appreciate them. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.