Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Posting some excerpts from the PM conversation to aid in helping others that run across this issue (or who are just following the saga like a weekly TV series :Wink: ) in resolving it.

Quote from rt808

"Early on in our communications you advised me to print an HP Network Config Page to check the IP Address and at the time I didn't know how to print the page so instead I went to the iMac's Apple System Profiler, opened Network, and copied down the IPv4 Address shown:  169.254.x.x.  In your next email you told me how to print the Network Config Page from the printer menu, so I followed your instructions and under General Information, URL for Embedded Web Server it showed: http://169.254.x.y.  Also on the Config Page under IPv4, Ip Address:  169.254.72.x.y."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from Hubbs

"ah - only 8 characters.... thats the problem. WEP is either 10 characters, or 26 characters. So, you are likely using WPA, WPA2, WPA-PSK, or TKIP.

The 169.254 address (the first one in blue) was likely during the first attempt at a wireless setup (the first time you tried). It couldn't talk with the router, so it didn't get a valid IP from the DHCP (the part of the router software that assigns IP addresses for use on the network).

The second IP (in purple) is most likely from when you connected adhoc.

The IPs that start with 169.254 are called APIPA addresses. It's a generic address that is assigned when there is not a network device assigning one to the device. Through adhoc, this is fine - and your mac would have a similar address - but once on a router network, you will have a 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x, or 10.0.1.x (depending on the router manufacturer)."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from rt808

"I did go back into the iMac's System Profiler just a moment ago and could not find that old IPv4 number (blue), so I do get that it changes everytime I do something different in the Setup.  And now the System Profiler under Network shows Airport (Time Capsule) with an IPv4 Address of 10.0.1.200 - just like you said.

Also, moments ago when I went into System Profiler/Network/Airport and looked under ***** Network (my home network) it showed:

***** Network

PHY Mode 802.11

BSSID *********

Channel 11

Network Type Infrastructure

Security  WPA2 Personal"

Quote from Hubbs

"Slight change to the steps (so you don't have to change the password on all the other devices in your home).

Below the section labeled WEP (in the printer EWS page) there is a section labeled WPA-PSK - this is the one you will want to use instead. You can leave the  WPA version to Automatic (or specify WPA2) and leave the Encryption method to Automatic - then enter your passphrase (*******) into the next two fields (Passphrase and Confirm Passphrase)."

To be continued... :OpenSmile:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi Hubbs,

Don't rush to respond to this latest attempt, as I will be away for the rest of the day.  

1.  Gave the computer and printer (and myself) a little rest.  When I rebooted it returned me to the HP Setup Assistant reminder.  I disconnected the USB cable, switched to Adhoc Network and proceeded with Setup steps, but this time at the Select Device screen my old trick of manually connecting with the printer by typing in the IP address, didn't work anymore!  (I ran an HP Network Config Page and there was no IP address shown; the Network Status was Offline; Active Connection-None.)

2.  The only way I could get past Select Device without going through the Configure device for a wireless network (the endlessly spinning colored wheel) was to reconnect the USB cable and select Photosmart C4500 series - USB - CN************.  Continue took me to a screen where I checked "configure your device for a wireless network," and then to the Select Network screen where the spinning colored wheel started doing its thing - looking for my Home Network, which was automatically highlighted.  (So I didn't elude the color wheel afterall.)  There was nothing I could do to stop it, but at least it didn't run as long as it has in the past.  After about 60 seconds I got a message that it was unable to connect.  It was then that I was able to highlight the Adhoc Network and hit Continue, which took me straight to a Configuration page.

3.  At this point I was shown my IP settings.  "Your device was successfully associated to C4580Test (my Adhoc) Network."  Current IP settings for my device were listed as:

IP:  169.254.**.***

Subnet Mask:  255.***.*.*

Default Gateway:  0.0.0.0

Preferred DNS Server:  0.0.0.0 - In hindsight, I wonder if this is the reason for the problem I later encountered.

Alternate DNS Server:  0.0.0.0

4.  I reached Select Printer and at this point I disconnected the USB cable, hit Print & Fax, highlighted Photosmart C4500 series (F748D5)-1 [which I chose over Photosmart C4500 series and Photosmart C4500 series (HPF748D5], and Opened Print Queue.  The Photosmart C4580 series (F748D5)-1 box opened showing Printer Ready.

5.  From the Printer Setup through Open Embedded Web Server, things progressed normally.  I typed in the correct WPA passphrase under WPA-PSK Authentication, Confirmed it and hit Apply.  (I am assuming that if the passphrase has a space, then I am to type it in exactly as is - with the space.)

6.  HP Utility gave me the message that the Connection with the printer was lost.  I switched from Adhoc to Home Network and immediately got the full page message "Safari can't find the server hpf748d5.local," but I still hit the Reconnect button on the HP Utility Message.  It tried to reconnect to C4500 (F748D5)-1, but again, I got the message:  "Connection with Printer Cannot be Established."

The saga continues...

Do you think it would help if instead of picking up again at the Setup Assistant, I ran through the Download all the way from the start?  Or is the problem that Safari is having in finding the device server a result of the way I originally connected to the printer (USB) during the Airport/Time Capsule setup?

Maybe I should just buy a more up-to-date printer?  Although the C4580 hasn't gotten much use, it is about 3 years old and the iMac is new - maybe they just don't get along!  If so, what HP printer do you suggest?

Thanks, Hubbs!

rt808

HP Recommended

Hi rt808,

So, I am not sure what we are missing. It seems like you are going through all of the steps, but the two devices are simply refusing to talk over Infrastructure.

Try this, it's a long shot, but I had another user/poster do this with a LJ problem and through some form of technology-magic it worked (referring to step 1 in the following list)

1. Create a new user account (don't delete your current one, just create an additional one). Ensure that you make it Admin

2. Log in to this new account and try to do the install from the point of running the downloaded installer package.

-- In this first install, try the Wireless Configured by USB method (or USB Setup of Wireless).

3. If you still get the pinwheel, then go to the printer, press the wireless button, and restore network defaults.

4. Power-cycle the printer at this point, then run through the steps for the ad-hoc to infrastructure (minus the bumps along the way).

If this still doesn't work, the only thing I can think of (which doesn't really make sense considering the EWS lists it specifically) is that the WPA2 could be the issue itself. The reason I suspect this could be the case is because when I mimicked your setup to install the C4580, the network I used was on WEP (10-digit). What I would do if the above 1-4 doesn't work:

1. Log into the EWS of the Time Capsule, and switch the security to either WEP or WPA (not WPA2).

2. Run through a normal USB Setup of Wireless; see if you still get the pinwheel.

Note: If this works, then you will need to re-connect all other wireless devices using the new settings.

I honestly don't have any other ideas if it doesn't connect after this.

I won't recommend a product just yet, because I truly don't think there is anything wrong with the one you have - the technology gods are just making us work for this one. If after doing the above (or if you are tired of fighting it) you still want a recommendation, send me a PM and I will discuss it with you (needs/wants, print habits, etc) and give an unbias suggestion.

Sound like a plan?

I'm rootin' for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
I'm, having the same type of continual problem with my HPC309, (& my Epson) with both our computers. They both can't seem to connect with out desktops. I think the problem must be with the ISP. The HPC309 is wireless so there's no alternative for setup. It was connected previously to the Dell, but won't reconnect now. And won't connect to the iMac.
HP Recommended

I have downloaded the OS X 5.8 driver for the macintosh Ibook G4 and I get a message that my device is not listed and that I have to download an installer....Please can anywone help me?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.