Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well it seems like by working on it by myself I may have messed it up even more. I figured the problem was that since my computer's IP address was still on dynamic, it kept changing and just couldn't connect with the printer anymore. So I made the IP address static for my computer. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the software ( this usually allows me to use the printer until I turn my computer off) The reinstallation allowed me to access my printer by typing it's IP address in the browser ( which it wasn't letting me do before) This is where I messed up: I changed the printer's IP address to the same one as my static one. I was reading the other posts, and realized that I also had to put in the gateway and DNS codes because it would'nt let me apply without it. At some point, I ended up uninstalling the software again and now it cannot be re-installed as a wireless printer because it can't pick up the IP code. I'm using an msi laptop. I have no idea what router we are on because i'm a freshman in college, so it isn't a personal router. Is my best bet just getting a USB cable?

HP Recommended

Each device on a network needs to have a unique IP address.  If you are going to assign static IP addresses it is most effective to assign them outside the router's DHCP range (the range of addresses that it pulls from to assign automatically).

An alternative is to assign IP addresses in the router, then you can assign them within or outside the DHCP range.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue as everyone else, where the printer seems to go offline and cant print.

Although in windows 7 if i go turn on the printer from sleep mode (its sleeping saving energy, not off) and wait a few minutes 

i can print fine.   IN Vista, I have to do the same thing.

In XP, i have to shut off the router, wait, turn it back on, then it seems to go tell the printer hey im still here.

I have the printer at a static address wayyyy outside the dhcp range.

I shouldnt have to go turn on the printer from sleeping every time I want to print.

Do i need a 2010 router by chance? Is that the issue?  Mine went out of life in 2008, ANd i have the latest

firmware.  I even downloaded the program and utilities suggested, doesnt help it the next time i need to print.

So will a new router fix the issue so all operating systems see it ALL the time?

HP Recommended

A new router may indeed fix the problem.  Do you have one you could borrow to test?

Another thing would be to make sure your old router has its latest firmware.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

No No No --- don't waste your time doing any of the checking and clicking (no offense to anyone, I spent hours last night doing it all)

the solution is so simple -- I have windows 7 now, so it may be a little different on your system --

go to start -- click on either control panel and then devices and printers -- or -- if you have a newer operating system, click on devices and printers

even if your printer is on the list, do this

click on :  add a printer

then the pages will come up -- be SURE YOU CLICK ON GET A NEW DRIVER -- or whatever the language says

it will auto populate the sentence that says something like:  use driver already installed -- DO NOT USE THAT ONE

ensure your printer is turned on and connected to your computer -- either wireless or with a usb cord -- I HAVE to print today, I chose usb cord --

then just let the hp installation wizard do all the work -- takes about ten minutes and problem solved !!

if you have issues -- don't panic -- just read what comes up on the screen

now, in windows 7, my computer makes a noise when the usb cord is plugged in -- I was using the front ports, and it did not make the noise -- this is a good usb cord -- so I moved it around back and ensured it made that connection noise

did a test run -- voila -- I have printing capabilities -- thank the good good Lord

I'm telling you, for a non - IT engineer like myself, computer issues will make you find Jesus !!!

HP Recommended

I've tried a number of things and am still getting the "printer offline" message when I attempt to print wirelessly.  I set up a manual IP address and powered the router & printer off and on.  The wireless network test doesn't find any problems--everything passes. I'm able to access the printer by typing the IP address in a browser, and I can print the "Print Quality Report" from the toolbox (without being connected by USB).  But I still get the "printer offline" message when I send a document wirelessly to the printer.

I opened the HP Setup Assistant to check the wireless connection and went through the process of setting up the wireless connection again, and received this message:  "The network configuration was successfully downloaded to the device. However to continue configuring the device in network, your Mac must have access to the device. So please make sure that your Mac has access to the Network : "(my network name)" and retry."  I've tried going through this process with the laptop connected wirelessly and using the ethernet connection, with the same results.

HP Recommended

I am stuck with the same issue except for my macintosh. The printer will connect for a couple minutes and then it will suddenly disappear and I have to restart the printer to get it to connect to my mac. 

I have no idea why it's doing that and I've been trying to fix it for days...

HP Recommended

im just about to give up with this rediculous printer...

HP Recommended

What version of OS X?  What router?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

version 10.6 with a qwest pk5000z

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.