Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart c5580
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and my Photosmart c5580 will not install or connect as a device. I have tried to update the drivers from Device Manager and from the HP Support site, but so far nothing has worked. After the software installs I keep getting a critical error when it tries to add the printer as a device. The printer is listed as being able to work with Windows 10. Any ideas on what I can try to solve this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forums @evlknvl,

I came across your message about how your software installation for your Photosmart C5580 is failing, and I wanted to lend a hand to try and help you. I would suggest starting with a clean boot, restart the PC, and then run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows to find and install the drivers and software for you. If you see any error messages, etc, please let me know all of the details!

Here are the steps in order:

source

1. Begin by typing “msconfig” in the Cortana Search Box and then click on MSConfig (Run Command)
    Or on your keyboard press the Windows + R key at the same time and type Msconfig in the run window, then click on OK or hit enter.
  2. Now choose Selective Start-up
  3. Remove the check from Load Startup Items
  4. Click on the Services tab
  5. Check “Hide all Microsoft Services” and then click on Disable All
  6. Click on Apply and then on OK, and restart the PC.
  7. When the PC is restarted, run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows to install the printer.

I hope this helps:)

Good luck,

Say "thanks" for my efforts to help you by clicking the thumbs up below!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Rainbow7000.

Just as a test I tried installing the printer on my laptop that is also running Windows 10. After I plugged in the usb cable it installed on it's own with no problems whatsoever.

Now I'm stumped on why my desktop PC will not let me install this printer that I now know works fine with Windows 10. I tried your suggestion of a clean boot install and got the same error on my desktop PC as before. It tries to connect to device and after trying for 5 min or so it stops, uninstalls everything and creates a desktop icon called "HP Installation Error - Windows 8.hta". I've also tried following the instructions given in this file, but I still can't get the printer to install on my desktop PC.

I'm going to do a reset of Windows 10 on my desktop PC and try again. If you have any further suggestions or questions please let me know.

HP Recommended

@evlknvl,

Thanks for getting back to me! So we know the printer is fine as it will install on your other computer, which is a little good news! Perhaps also disable any security programs you may have running on the desktop before installing to see if that helps.

Let me know how you make out after the reset,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I went ahead with the reset yesterday and as soon as it finished I plugged the printer in and it installed on its own and is working perfectly. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended
Windows 10 has 2 ways to reset itself. One is to keep the files on the machine and the other wipes it clean. Which one did you do? I personally tried resetting it while keeping files but that failed to work.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.